Reader reviews and comments on Cane River, plus links to write your own review.

Cane River

Apr 2002, 560 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Cane River

Louise J

Riveting Family Saga
CANE RIVER covers 137 years of Lalita Tademy’s family’s history, written as fiction, but deeply rooted in years of research historical fact, and family lore. It is a family saga that covers four generations of women born into slavery and searching for freedom. Every time I read a story like this I am utterly outraged at the treatment that these people endured. CANE RIVER was a riveting read and one I will surely tell friends about.
Chris

CANE RIVER
A must read!!. I am left in awe at the way the author put a historical story of the Louisiana French&Black (now African American) women they used & loved. The loyalty to children by the non-husband-father and, of course, the mothers. Seldom do we read about the 'plantations' in that settlement of the USA. The other reviews say it well. But I must also encourage everyone to pickup this book. Note: I read it on CD - making it really come to life w/the French/Creole dialect.
Bishop Roy Fuller

Cane Rive
Love this book. She should make a movie next.
Bo Walker

Awesome is an understatement!
This book is awesome; I was unable to put it down until I finished. This saga is so true of many of our ancestors who overcame tremendous obstacles and injustices to build legacies from which we benefit. The author did a great job relating the family's story, the unique strength of each woman, and incorporating many of the cultural nuances of the slavery era. It showed that racism comes in many colors, as well as the power of hope and perseverance. I highly recommend it.
Candi

Created a Reader out of me
I rarely read anything before this. Years ago I picked this one up and couldn't put it down. It changed me into a book nut. It was a wonderful read and thoroughly delicious, sad to put it down. Now I can't get through the bookstore in less than an hour. Always hoping to find another with this much power. Yes, it has indeed created a reader out of me.
Lindsey

Incredible
This is by far the best book I've ever read. It was told beautifully. This book could have gone on forever in my opinion, from the first few pages I was hooked. This author went through so much going back through her family line, learning, and understanding where she came from and about her family. What really put this book into perspective for me were the true pictures and scans of old documents, letters, newspaper articles. It was absolutely wonderful. This is as real as it gets. I loved it.
Joe Sanders, Jr.

The Cane River story mirrors much of what I was told as a child about life in Natchitoches as well as other parts of Louisiana. It's too bad that academia didn't touch on such issues in "Louisiana History". I applaud Ms Tademy for her insight and courage.
Anna

Cane River moved me beyond belief. I wanted to go on forever. I felt as if i were there, living it with them. Superb. Heartwhenching.

• Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...
  • Book Jacket: Code Name Lise
    Code Name Lise
    by Larry Loftis
    Odette Sansom (1912 – 1995), a Frenchwoman married to a British man and living in the English ...

Book Club
The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man
by Jonas Jonasson

The hysterical, clever, and unforgettable sequel to Jonas Jonasson's international bestseller.

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!