Reader reviews and comments on Cane River, plus links to write your own review.

Cane River

Apr 2002, 560 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Cane River

Louise J

Riveting Family Saga
CANE RIVER covers 137 years of Lalita Tademy’s family’s history, written as fiction, but deeply rooted in years of research historical fact, and family lore. It is a family saga that covers four generations of women born into slavery and searching for freedom. Every time I read a story like this I am utterly outraged at the treatment that these people endured. CANE RIVER was a riveting read and one I will surely tell friends about.
Chris

CANE RIVER
A must read!!. I am left in awe at the way the author put a historical story of the Louisiana French&Black (now African American) women they used & loved. The loyalty to children by the non-husband-father and, of course, the mothers. Seldom do we read about the 'plantations' in that settlement of the USA. The other reviews say it well. But I must also encourage everyone to pickup this book. Note: I read it on CD - making it really come to life w/the French/Creole dialect.
Bishop Roy Fuller

Cane Rive
Love this book. She should make a movie next.
Bo Walker

Awesome is an understatement!
This book is awesome; I was unable to put it down until I finished. This saga is so true of many of our ancestors who overcame tremendous obstacles and injustices to build legacies from which we benefit. The author did a great job relating the family's story, the unique strength of each woman, and incorporating many of the cultural nuances of the slavery era. It showed that racism comes in many colors, as well as the power of hope and perseverance. I highly recommend it.
Candi

Created a Reader out of me
I rarely read anything before this. Years ago I picked this one up and couldn't put it down. It changed me into a book nut. It was a wonderful read and thoroughly delicious, sad to put it down. Now I can't get through the bookstore in less than an hour. Always hoping to find another with this much power. Yes, it has indeed created a reader out of me.
Lindsey

Incredible
This is by far the best book I've ever read. It was told beautifully. This book could have gone on forever in my opinion, from the first few pages I was hooked. This author went through so much going back through her family line, learning, and understanding where she came from and about her family. What really put this book into perspective for me were the true pictures and scans of old documents, letters, newspaper articles. It was absolutely wonderful. This is as real as it gets. I loved it.
Joe Sanders, Jr.

The Cane River story mirrors much of what I was told as a child about life in Natchitoches as well as other parts of Louisiana. It's too bad that academia didn't touch on such issues in "Louisiana History". I applaud Ms Tademy for her insight and courage.
Anna

Cane River moved me beyond belief. I wanted to go on forever. I felt as if i were there, living it with them. Superb. Heartwhenching.

• Book Jacket: Let It Bang
    by Hank Green
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for Eden
    Waiting for Eden
    by Elliot Ackerman
    Elliot Ackerman's latest novel, Waiting for Eden, follows Marine Eden Malcom as his death ...

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance