What readers think of Cane River, plus links to write your own review.

Cane River

by Lalita Tademy

Cane River by Lalita Tademy X
Cane River by Lalita Tademy

Apr 2001, 418 pages

Apr 2002, 560 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Cane River

enchanted reader

This novel was a portal to the African-American experience through the ups and downs of motherhood, slavery, and generations of triumph and tragedy. Anyone who seeks a glimpse into the past should travel along the pages of Cane River to visit the complex world of oppression and domination. However, once the story ends you gain a greater perspective of the racial lines which continue to divide our society. Lalita Tademy has truly found her "calling."
Cynthia

I loved this book, my favorite would have to be Elizabeth she was the backbone of the whole family.
Tamika Howard

This novel is filled with great imagery of black women on Cane River. The four generations: Elisabeth, Suzette, Philomene, and Emily wanted the best for their families. They went through some trials and tribulations for the family to stay together when their masters died. Suzette and Philomene did their best to keep the family together. I loved the false glimpsings Philomene told Narcisse Fredieu so her children could have a life that she didn't have. I did not like the way they were color struck. They wanted their children to stay out of the sun. It meant more opportunities for them. I believe they should have had children with men of their own color. Everyone mixes once and a while. Since I was born in Louisiana, I was very interested in reading this novel. I also enjoyed their woman talks on the porch. I think all women folks should read this book. Give it to your mother for that special day.
Bonfils

From the mother Land
Cane River traces the history of brave women who struggled during the slavery. These four women achhieved some wonderful works to preserve their independence, freedom, rights, etc... Lalita wrote so well that i wanted to read to book over and over. Being from africa, this book reminds me some of tough conditions that womens endured in africa after being traded, mistreated back in the time..
C.Webb

Excellent book! I was born and raised not far from Cane River. I enjoyed coming across familiar names. I think the author did a remarkable job. This book was easy to read and easy to follow all the family branches. The women in this family are inspirational. Makes me want to look up my family history.
a Louisiana reader

This was a good book,better than I expected but I think she,the writer should have ended it sooner,after Philomene,not have gone on and on with Emily,I'm not saying she didn't do a good job but it just seems she should have stopped sooner. I rather enjoyed reading about the grandmother's struggles of suriveal during slavery and after but ...well,I said my opion of the book. I'll just say one more thing then sign off,to me,in my voice,life was just as bad if not worse for the blacks after they got freedom. But all of this is foranother forum.
jackie

The story held my attention until the last few chapters. The family relationship was endearing. The ending was not as good as expected.
Carrin Mahmood

I love when anyone takes me to a place I could otherwise not be a part of! Tademy did this well but it was average to below writing. Fascinating family history, reads like 'fiction' which is just what she did with it.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    by Sidik Fofana
    'Everybody got a story, everybody got a tale / Question is: Is it despair or prevail?' ...
  • Book Jacket: Fire Season
    Fire Season
    by Leyna Krow
    Fire Season is a thoroughly enjoyable novel that touches upon multiple genres and themes. It ...
  • Book Jacket: The Story of Russia
    The Story of Russia
    by Orlando Figes
  • Book Jacket: Moth
    Moth
    by Melody Razak
    On August 15, 1947, India gained independence from the United Kingdom, and on that same day the ...

The Ways We Hide