Reader reviews and comments on A Day Late and A Dollar Short, plus links to write your own review.

A Day Late and A Dollar Short

by Terry McMillan

A Day Late and A Dollar Short

Jan 2001, 448 pages
    Dec 2001, 480 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for A Day Late and A Dollar Short

Yvette (09/22/04)

I read this book with interest and questions. In my poor Harlem family we did not condone the use of profanity, therefore can anyone discuss why the author Terry McMillan has her characters use so much of it. I am an older reader but this was a sore spot for me especially since critics seem to think this represents a typical African American family. I disagree with this assessment. In many poor Black families profanity is a no-no? Has our world changed that much?
a j darden (05/07/04)

I really enjoyed everything about the book from the writing style to the complexity of the characters. T. McMillan is an execellent story teller.
jackie watkins (11/11/03)

Fantastic. Everyone should read this book, you'll find a family member among the pages. I know I found several, including myself. A must read for the avid reader.
Ms Tee (09/02/03)

I read this book,and was so enlighted it was hard to put down.
It will have you laughing,and feeling sad too.
I can relate to some of things that happen in that family,
It's like the author was talking to me.
It was a good book and every family
should have this book in their house whole.
God Bless you Terry!
Keep up the good work.
Ms Tee
Twain (07/29/03)

This book, which I read almost a year ago, captures the reader from the start. The characters are breathing also, from the start of the book. they are so clearly defined that the names could have been delelted from the text after the first forty pages, still you'd know exactly who is speaking, who is dealing with which situation, and who is pulling them all together once again. i read this book while visiting friends for a few days, picked it up on the way to NYC, it became an issue with my friends, who kept demanding that i put the book down and tell them about my life in Paris. i couldn't put the book down. I left it for them to read. i was thanked and forgiven. and thanked several times more. not since Mama Day, Gloira Naylor's tale, have i enjyed a book so much.

I have enjoyed Stella and Waiting, but this book, i thought, during and after reading it, should become a movie. it would do very well on stage as well. i think everyone, without regard to color, can see their family in the characters, which you find yourself careing more and more about, then finally missing them, as you realize days later that they are charaters invented and not people you can drop in on to find out what they are doing or how they are doing. you become very involved in their indidviual and collective challenges wanting each of them to succeed. Terry makes you glade you learned to read!!!
Candace (05/04/03)

This was a good book about a disfunctional family that was very functional at the end of it all.
Courtney (04/10/03)

The book was great and I really liked how it showed real insight into how black families, no matter how mad or dysfunctional the family may be, when the time comes the family can come together and back one another up.
Vikki Koonce (10/25/02)

I think that this book sends a positive message to many different families. It teaches us that you should appreciate what you have before what you have that neesd to be appreciated is gone. Since I am a writer also, your book as inspired me to send out positive messages.

• Book Jacket: The Mothers
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson
  • Book Jacket: Mercury
    by Margot Livesey
    Margot Livesey explores the moneyed suburbs of Boston and creates a modern morality tale chronicling...

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

by Paulette Jiles

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.