Reader reviews and comments on Bloodroot, plus links to write your own review.

Bloodroot

by Amy Greene

Bloodroot by Amy Greene

Jan 2010, 304 pages
    Jan 2011, 304 pages

Elizabeth Whitmore Funk

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Bloodroot

Eileen Elkinson

Exceptional debut, can't wait for more books
This is a sensitively written novel, an often tragic yet poignant depiction of life in the Appalachian mountains. Specifically Bloodroot Mountain, named after the bloodroot flower that gave Myra Lamb her name. A flower that contains the ability to heal, and also to poison.
Meet Myra, a mysterious young girl and her grandmother Byrdie, who has the "touch" that is magical and fascinating to anyone she comes in contact with. Meet four generations of strong men and women, leading difficult lives in an unforgiving atmosphere. These are unforgettable and intimate portraits of what it takes to stand up to all that life throws at them. A southern gem sparkles in these poetic and heartfelt pages.
CarolK

A Stunning Debut
Bloodroot is a gut wrenching, raw, tense, exquisite debut. Bloodroot has been compared to The Color Purple or the Glass Castle. For me, it is more like She Walks These Hills by Sharyn McCrumb. It is the kind of book you need to read yourself, not easy to explain. Tense, taut; powerful storytelling. I wanted Bloodroot to end so I could breathe but when it was over I wanted to go back, to savor, to ponder, to enjoy the richness of the whole once again.
Power Reviewer mainlinebooker

Great voices
There has been criticism that the shifting voices in chapters leads to confusion, but I did not feel this way at all. The voices were incredibly authentic, and although the pace was slower in the beginning the increasing tension continued to build. I was sorry to put this book down.

• Book Jacket: The Ninth Hour

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E