Reader reviews and comments on Shanghai Girls, plus links to write your own review.

Shanghai Girls

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Shanghai Girls

Charlotte

GREAT!
This book was fabulous the plot kept me interested in the book and it was really really good. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. I chose to write my book report on it for school and it is turning out really great! Lisa See is a great author!
dorothy

Not to be missed!
Lisa See has written a great book! This story is satisfying on many levels, some scenes horrifying, but seemingly truthful, and her handling of the relationship between sisters exactly right, if not (thankfully) the story of all sister relationships. I especially urge all readers to take the time to read the acknowledgment section and reprint of a LA Times article at the end of the novel.
Mary T

Shanghai Girls: A Novel by Lisa See
Excellent read! I was riveted all the way through. The expression of feelings with the INS was fantastic. This is a "book club" read for about a dozen women who have ALL loved it!
Kelly

Powerful
Shanghai Girls was so powerful a book that it rules out anything I have ever read. The book was full of sadness and agony; yet it is so real. The characters are a work of fiction, but similar events have occurred in China's past. Having been told many similar stories of my Chinese ancestors, I was very moved by this book. Lisa See is a very talented writer to be able to recapture the sadness and anger felt by many Chinese at that generation.
Charles Chosewood

A Man Surprised at a Seemingly Woman's Book
I bought this book for my wife while she was in the hospital never even contemplating I would read it myself. With an extended hospitalization and my wife frequently asleep I opened the book out of curiosity and candidly boredom, and was pleasantly surprised. I've now read it in its entirety and found it an informative, true to history, and VERY interesting account of the period and the people in it. As a man primarily interested in History and political reading I found this book not just "Good" but excellent. A fascinating insight into familial and national prejudice and procedures now virtually forgotten in the wave of "Political Correctness" and "Revisionist History" which provides the "Pacifier" the public now demands.Highly recommended for what my evaluation may be worth.
Margaret

Shanghai Girls
I have enjoyed anything written by Lisa See. This is her best. She is extremely descriptive to the point that one can see (no pun intended) the era and culture come to life before her, as well as feel the emotion of the characters.
milii

straight to the heart
Such an amazing book, i enjoyed every part of it, is a detailed portrait of the experience of many asian immigrants, very human and shocking.
Lil

shanghai girls
Shanghai Girls has alot of potential, but doesn't quite reach the mark.
Set in the 'Paris of Asia' and then in China Town LA, it presents compelling people and places. Character development is rounded for the two main characters, although not particularly for anyone else. The descriptions of Shanghai are vivid, and the way Lisa See describes the rape scene is truly harrowing. It is also obvious that much research has been put in. It's downfall is its lack of description through-out the book. It gets bogged-down midway by too much politics, although to some extent this is inevitable, it is still a shame the book isn't written in the same beauty as Peony In Love.
In conclusion, this was a great, emotive, and original book, although you may have to push yourself to read on halfway through.

Wolf Season
    by Helen Benedict
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!