Reader reviews and comments on Ghostwalk, plus links to write your own review.

Ghostwalk

by Rebecca Stott

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott

May 2007, 320 pages
    Jun 2008, 368 pages

There is 1 reader review for Ghostwalk

Power Reviewer PDXReader (06/05/09)

Good, but not great.
The author started with an obvious passion for the 17th century, and her extensive research into the period is evident. There are parts of this novel that seem like they could have been the kernel of the author’s Ph.D. thesis. She layers a rather spooky ghost story on top of her historical musings, and I feel like these two strata of the plot work particularly well. She then throws in sub-plots about the protagonist’s extramarital affair, a radical animal-rights group, modern-day murders, conspiracies between arms dealers, pharmaceutical companies and researchers… and it just becomes too much. All these extra threads are distracting, don’t really go with the core mystery and serve only to confuse. The book’s basic core is quite involving, but the addition of all that extraneous stuff gets in the way. So, while I’m glad I read it, it’s not one I’m actually recommending to friends.

• Book Jacket: Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    by George Saunders

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some to be chewed on and digested.

K Your F C