Reader reviews and comments on A Special Education, plus links to write your own review.

A Special Education

Mar 2007, 196 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for A Special Education

Judy R. (04/14/11)

That's My Child
I loved this book!!! As I read, highlighting significant passages on every page, I clearly saw my daughter. Wow, it helped me TREMENDOUSLY to understand her better! It answered many of my "why's". For me, it was life changing.
Jessica (10/16/06)

I came across this book in the library while taking a course in Special Education to complete my degree in Communication Disorders. I decided to read the book and could not put it down.

I went to a mainstream school that stereotyped every student who had contact with the special education teachers. I always felt sorry for the special ed students that were constantly picked on. This book enlightened my mind, heart, and soul. Charlotte, I was crying when you receieved the Winston Churchill reward as well. My first epiphany began before I read the book and learned that LD students have average to above average intelligence, but have processing difficulties. The book shows the steps that the family and professionals took to help Charlotte share her knowledge with the world. I loved the book. I would recommend it to anyone who has contact with any school system. Many students fall between the cracks in the inconsistencies of mainstream schools. Without the support, Charlotte may never have been able to succeed on so many different levels. Encouragement, determination, and support is necessary for everyone to live in this pushy world. I can not imagine trying to exist without being understood by the world around me.

The book also gives me a new perspective. I have lived other places, but for the most part Kentucky has been my home. Special Schools are not within driving distance for anyone in my area. Lousiville is probably the closest. This book will give a new perspective and illustrate the importance of helping students with LD learn in ways that they can understand the material.

The book is an encouragement to students with LD and the parents as well as other professionals. Dana was ambitious and successful. She was trying to raise a family and have a career--not just any career, but the career of a top designer. I see myself in her and wonder how I would react to the same situation. Her book has given me knowledge of things that I will be able to use in my field as a Speech Language Pathologist, but also as a future parent. This book offers insight to a life of defeats and adventually triumphs--focusing on remembering the difficulties only to highlight the triumphs.
ann gusmus (04/04/06)

amazing and heartwarming...
I had to read this book in a day. I was so impressed with the way the author and her daughter worked through their many issues. The love of a mom and the struggles of a child trying to make it with a learning disability - raw emotions from both. I loved it !!!!!

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.