Reader reviews and comments on The Traveler, plus links to write your own review.

The Traveler

Jul 2006, 464 pages

There are currently 13 reader reviews for The Traveler

Peter's Fourth Life

Too Close
I'm not surprised John12Hawks lives off the Grid. I'm suprised he's still alive.
Too near or possibly spot on the truth.
Govs will probably try and protect their myths as the CC are alleged to do in DaVinci Code.
You feel you are reading about something you already know instinctivly and wish you had had the empowerment to put into words youself.
Of course this review may never be seen if Book Browse or Doubleday decide it safer not to whilst they live on the grid
carol

Traveler stimulates
I found this book, listened to in the audio form, to be stimulating in ideas and quite in line with ideas I have contemplated. I am excited about it being the first of a trilogy although it certainly can be read alone. It is a bit of a blend of science fiction, fantasy and political ideas, I think. Please try it and do listen/read the author's interview; he maintains his privacy because he wants his ideas/books to be the main source of attention rather than his persona.
Z

EAGER
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE READ IN QUITE A WHILE. THE CONCEPT OF TRAVELERS IS AN ORIGINAL IDEA TO ME AND EVERY LAST CHARACTER PULLS YOU DEEPER INTO THE STORY. I LOVED THIS BOOK AND I'M EAGERLY AWAITING THE NEXT TWO BOOKS.
Dreamer

Makes you think
Although this book may not use the best prose in the world, what is presented makes you think, as opposed to how it is presented. The concept of the Grid is worringly realistic, and not necessarily 'fiction.' It is rare that I find a book I cannot put down, this one fulfilled my expectations, although the ending could have been tied in a little better. Look forward to the next one.
Eggies2006

True but Fiction
If I hadn't known what I already know and hadn't experienced what I already experience I would have rated this book a top mark of 5. But as I read it and find myself nodding from knowledge and/or recognition the lack of surprise element prompts me to give it a 4 instead. The style of writing isn't Shakespearean but neither is a newspaper. The passing of information from one person to the next has to be basic and clear in its message if the message is to be understood. That is why tabloids are more poplular than the broadsheets. I am thoroughly enjoying the storyline, but I'll say this: when it comes to the world of astral travelling - there is no pain to be felt and the only light that is seen is the one that is felt.
Aurelia

Intriguing!
The author has made claims that, I believe, are not far from our reality. I have described this book to people as a "cautionary tale" about what could happen to our country (and our world) if we allow a small but powerful group of people gain too much control. The wheels are in motion and we must decide if we will observe and think for ourselves or accept a contrived version of events that is placed before us by a mainstream media machine. This book goes beyond science fiction - John Twelve Hawks has taken the warnings of George Orwell and given them a twist that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I can't wait to see what the rest of the trilogy has in store!
Mr. dave

average
This book has great potential, but stumbles and falls short.
Jim

Interesting
"Traveler" is a mind bending book. Great effort has been placed within the discription of a "Traveler" to convince me that these travelers are important to the world order, it could be quite believeable that these people exsist in todays society. I rearly became engrosed in the book however the ending was poor leaving it to the last page to be left in wonder "what the hell next" where the rest. All in all a good book but how long before the said trilogy becomes available before those who have read loose interest in the first book?

The Hermit
    by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers