Reader reviews and comments on Down To A Soundless Sea, plus links to write your own review.

Down To A Soundless Sea

by Thomas Steinbeck

Down To A Soundless Sea by Thomas Steinbeck X
Down To A Soundless Sea by Thomas Steinbeck

Oct 2002, 224 pages
    Dec 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Down To A Soundless Sea

Having been a reader of John Steinbeck's writing for over 20 years, I rightly wondered what son Thom might have to offer. Upon reading Down to a Soundless Sea, it is immediately evident that Thom has inherited his father's love of telling a good story, stories that as he writes in the "Author's Note" should be passed on by the reader. Following his advice, I am happily recommending "The Wool Gatherer" which gave me the feeling of having sat down with Thom in an intimate storytelling episode where only he, I, and the coastline of Big Sur were present--along with memories of his father, John. If being transported back to California at the turn of the 20th century and just beyond entices you, read Thomas Steinbeck's first magnificent, sensory, vocabulary, and character-rich set of short stories.
richard ponemon

I can't disagree with the many reviewers who have lauded this book. However I have a slightly negative feeling about an impression I get from his vocabularies. That is: I get a feeling that the use of various specialized vocabularies, the work-related jargons of various trades, sailor, miner, etc is a bit overdone. It seems to me that, to some extent, the writer is showing off the fact that he has carefully researched those specialized areas.

This is not to say, however that, overall, the work is any less than first-class.

• Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!