Reader reviews and comments on Down To A Soundless Sea, plus links to write your own review.

Down To A Soundless Sea

by Thomas Steinbeck

Down To A Soundless Sea by Thomas Steinbeck

Oct 2002, 224 pages
    Dec 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Down To A Soundless Sea

Anonymous

Having been a reader of John Steinbeck's writing for over 20 years, I rightly wondered what son Thom might have to offer. Upon reading Down to a Soundless Sea, it is immediately evident that Thom has inherited his father's love of telling a good story, stories that as he writes in the "Author's Note" should be passed on by the reader. Following his advice, I am happily recommending "The Wool Gatherer" which gave me the feeling of having sat down with Thom in an intimate storytelling episode where only he, I, and the coastline of Big Sur were present--along with memories of his father, John. If being transported back to California at the turn of the 20th century and just beyond entices you, read Thomas Steinbeck's first magnificent, sensory, vocabulary, and character-rich set of short stories.
richard ponemon

I can't disagree with the many reviewers who have lauded this book. However I have a slightly negative feeling about an impression I get from his vocabularies. That is: I get a feeling that the use of various specialized vocabularies, the work-related jargons of various trades, sailor, miner, etc is a bit overdone. It seems to me that, to some extent, the writer is showing off the fact that he has carefully researched those specialized areas.

This is not to say, however that, overall, the work is any less than first-class.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers