Reader reviews and comments on Down To A Soundless Sea, plus links to write your own review.

Down To A Soundless Sea

by Thomas Steinbeck

Down To A Soundless Sea by Thomas Steinbeck X
Down To A Soundless Sea by Thomas Steinbeck

Oct 2002, 224 pages
    Dec 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Down To A Soundless Sea

Anonymous

Having been a reader of John Steinbeck's writing for over 20 years, I rightly wondered what son Thom might have to offer. Upon reading Down to a Soundless Sea, it is immediately evident that Thom has inherited his father's love of telling a good story, stories that as he writes in the "Author's Note" should be passed on by the reader. Following his advice, I am happily recommending "The Wool Gatherer" which gave me the feeling of having sat down with Thom in an intimate storytelling episode where only he, I, and the coastline of Big Sur were present--along with memories of his father, John. If being transported back to California at the turn of the 20th century and just beyond entices you, read Thomas Steinbeck's first magnificent, sensory, vocabulary, and character-rich set of short stories.
richard ponemon

I can't disagree with the many reviewers who have lauded this book. However I have a slightly negative feeling about an impression I get from his vocabularies. That is: I get a feeling that the use of various specialized vocabularies, the work-related jargons of various trades, sailor, miner, etc is a bit overdone. It seems to me that, to some extent, the writer is showing off the fact that he has carefully researched those specialized areas.

This is not to say, however that, overall, the work is any less than first-class.

• Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter