Reader reviews and comments on The Nanny Diaries, plus links to write your own review.

The Nanny Diaries

by Nicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin

The Nanny Diaries by Nicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin

Feb 2002, 352 pages
    Mar 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for The Nanny Diaries

ROSIE FOFO

LALA
a hilarious book..for kids of 15 and up.
fawnabelle

I LOVED this book and finished it within a day. It's one of those books that you can't put down until the end. I love the characters ( espically the Harvard Hottie). I realy want them to write a sqeul if anyone knows that they have or plan to please write it in your review THANX!
Sherri

I was trying to send this directly to the authors but was unable to find a website. With the popularity of the book, I can understand why.

I had just finished "The Devil Wears Prada" when my sister handed me "The Nanny Diaries" I understand why they called it a novel, although no one with a brain will believe that. I had an experience with a famous, powerful woman that was horrific and wrote an essay about it, changing the names of course. It's posted at an online magazine,called Writershood and will be there till the end of the month, then archived. It's called "The Light" if you want to read it, and my name is Sherri Silesky. It's short, and they put it in nonfiction, but as I said, the names were changed.

I must say, the character had more inner strength than I have, especially at the end. I would have stolen something worth the money they owed me. But that's me. Of course, I'm older now...at 23 maybe I would have done the same.

What I wanted to say is this: as funny as it was, it made me cringe, it almost made me cry. For all the Grayers of the world, who must endure what amounts to child abuse at the hands of the self absorved, idle rich. Mrs. X, Ms. Chicago and Mr. X are all abusers. I wish that someone, somewhere, someday, reports their actions and inactions to child welfare. Not that it would matter. But at least Grayer would know that someone stood up for him.

He will anyway. He will remember the one person who loved him unconditionally, cared for him as if he were her own child, taught him the important things in life and gave him the self confidence he will surely need. It's too bad that Mrs X fixed it so he will think he had been abandoned once more...by all his caregivers. Once he starts therapy, which he will surely need, unless of course he ends up a rapist or murderer, targeting woman who remind him of his mother, he will surely recall Nanny.

Congrats on a great book, but more important, congrats to you for your self control. I believe every single word of it as truth...although I have never been around that kind of wealth, it's not hard to believe.

At least "The Devil Wears Prada" was about adults. Yes, there was a child in it who was probably also abused and neglected (I don't mean abused as in beaten, obviously), it was easier to take because it didn't directly involve an injured child. That just makes my heart weep.

Good luck to you both on future projects!!
Stephanie

I don't like to read books, but when I was stuck at an airport, this one shined on the shelves. Nan has an awesome sense of humor with loaded sarcasm. This book kept me interested from one page to the next. I would reccomend this book to anyone. For all those who rated "1," please read above where nationally acclaimed sources have given this book rave reviews. Much kudos to Emma and Nicola!
Lacy Barnett

I have only gotten to read the excerpt so far, but from what I can tell, I am going to be thoroughly pleased with this book.
Jesseca

I couldn't put the book down. The ending was a little disapointing, but other than that it was a great read.
4 me 2 know

Gret book. Icould not put it down. I really relate because i'm a nanny. and it tells tthe truth
KatieQT

I finished this book in about two days. I've since read it 5 times! I can't remember the last time a book affected me the way this one did. I was never a nanny and I am not yet a mother, but I felt that I really related to Nanny. Living in a wealthy suburb of NYC, I've also run into my fair share of Mrs Xs. I can not fathom what makes these women think that they deserve to act the way that they do. And I certainly can not fathom what makes them think that their children are just more accessories, used when its convenient and ignored at all other times.

I hope that the authors write some kind of sequel to The Nanny Diaries, I would love to see what happend between Nanny and HH or to see what happens to the Xs.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Blind
    The Blind
    by A.F. Brady
    In The Blind, A. F. Brady, a licensed psychotherapist, takes readers inside a residential ...
  • Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F