Reader reviews and comments on Desirable Daughters, plus links to write your own review.

Desirable Daughters

by Bharati Mukherjee

Desirable Daughters by Bharati Mukherjee X
Desirable Daughters by Bharati Mukherjee

Feb 2002, 320 pages
    Feb 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Desirable Daughters

jean sheridan

A cool blend of Bay Area lifestyle and Indian sensibility. It bogs down in the New York scenes, but picks up for an unexpected flashy finale.
Anonymous

Truthfully, the book was ok. I didn't think that it was all that great. The plot was ok but i kinda thought the whole gang thing was stupid. It was surprising but it didn't fit into the rest of the novel. One thing that I did like about it though was how Mukherjee had spoken about the true culture and beliefs of both worlds and how they differed. (Anonymous, 16 years old)
Carla

Desirable Daughters book review
This book just was not that good. The plot was very well developed. Also, ending was very much a let-down. The only thing I found enjoyable about this book is that it went into some detail about Indian culture and idiology, which I must admit is foreign to me. Still, even with the cultural aspect of this book, it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't waste my money buying it if I were you.
Ayesha

It had two interesting elements but it focuses more on the duller one. There is not any good character development and so the events that take place do not have an impact on the reader. I felt like the author attempts to make the story suspenseful but it lead the plot to drag on.

• Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: The Boneless Mercies
    The Boneless Mercies
    by April Genevieve Tucholke
    The Mercies are assassins, part of a long tradition of killers who serve to end the suffering of the...
  • Book Jacket: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    by Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird's historical novel, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen, imagines, with a grand flourish, ...
  • Book Jacket: Washington Black
    Washington Black
    by Esi Edugyan
    Sometimes you just want a good adventure story. One that does not follow a predictable pattern and ...

Code Girls
by Liza Mundy

The riveting story of the USA's courageous and accomplished WWII female American code breakers.

The Kennedy Debutante
    by Kerri Maher

"An engrossing tale of family, faith and love in the life of one remarkable woman." - Booklist

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H