Read what people think about The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino, and write your own review.

by Keigo Higashino

• Published in USA  Feb 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The Devotion of Suspect X

K.U. (02/24/15)

Reminiscent of Hitchock!
Keigo Higashino is now one of my favorite authors. His "mysteries" are quite intellectually stimulating - enough to be considered literary fiction. His characters and stories reveal layer after layer of depth and feeling. I would highly recommend this book!
Rachel B. (Waynetown, IN) (02/04/11)

Twists and turns to a dramatic end
I very much enjoyed this book, and will be recommending it to my book club primarily because so often in the story the sense of what is right and fair is distorted by sympathy for Ishigami and Yasuko, even when in hindsight it would be completely unjust for things to turn out the way they would have liked. I appreciate that not only is the big picture spectacular at the very end, but also that once the whole of events is revealed I found myself remembering little glimpses all along the way that lent validation to the final chapters. Very well thought-out and much potential for group discussion.
Maggie R. (Canoga Park, CA) (01/26/11)

A stew of elements
I collect mystery/espionage set in other countries and find this a backdoor into other cultures. The Devotion of Suspect X did not disappoint. And it has the added element of the mathematical puzzlement to add suspense.
Nikki R. (Irvine, CA) (01/20/11)

Misplaced Devotion ?
Having grown up in Gardena, CA post WWll the Japanese culture was very familiar to me. I fell under the spell of this book quickly and virtually clipped from page to page. The writing started out a bit stilted, but with the quickly developed plot and twists it soon didn't matter. It's all here; love, loyalty, dishonesty, guilt, regret, and of course murder. Would love to see this as a movie! If I have any complaint the ending felt like I hit a wall. It wasn't very satisfying.
Power Reviewer Mary O. (Boston, MA) (01/14/11)

Haunting
This is truly a murder mystery or "whodunit" page turner! It is an engrossing read where you don't want to take a break when you are reading it. This book continues to haunt you after you finish the last page. It is a book about love, blind devotion, sacrifice, truth and justice. With some surprising twists and turns, the question remains "does justice prevail?"
Power Reviewer Lee M. (Creve Coeur, MO) (01/12/11)

The Devotion of Suspect X
Keigo Higashino has written a twist on the usual murder mystery. This not a ‘who done it’ as the reader is told who, when, and why in the beginning. How the murderer is hidden from the police is slowly and cleverly laid out by the author in an amazing mind duel by two old mathematical school acquaintances
Amy H. (Benbrook, TX) (01/08/11)

I was pleasantly surprised!
I really enjoyed this book! It was a well-written book by a Japanese author - evidently the book was released in Japan in 2005 but has only recently been translated to English and is scheduled to be released in February 2011 in the US. Evidently this author is the Japanese version of "James Patterson" so I was interested to read it. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed! After I established some familiarity with the Japanese names (which was a little difficult for me), the story fell together. Wonderful plot development at a pace just quick enough to keep me interested, but not so fast as to be rushed or unrealistic. There's a huge twist at the end that I never expected, and I will definitely be looking for other books by this author! (In English, of course).
Marta T. (Lafayette, CA) (01/06/11)

well-crafted plot
The writer of this mystery, unlike many modern works written for an English-speaking audience, takes a leisurely approach with many layers. The story begins by establishing the relationship between two Japanese neighbors before a murder occurs and continues with a game of cat-and-mouse between one of them and a police consultant who understands how his mind works. The murder cover-up is the real focus of the story. Recommended for the plot, but pacing may be slow and characters too thin for some readers.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves

The Big Holiday Wordplay: