MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino, and write your own review.

The Devotion of Suspect X

by Keigo Higashino

The Devotion of Suspect X

• Published in USA  Feb 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The Devotion of Suspect X

Cynthia B. (Puyallup, WA) (01/06/11)

Devotion of Suspect X
An outstanding cat-and-mouse crime novel in which, I swear, you will read with one eyebrow raised the entire time! Keigo Higashino points out that "Theories and logic are all very well, but intuition's one of the best weapons in a detective's arsenal." True, but is it possible that this weapon may misfire?

Though Higashino has written many novels in Japan, covering almost all genres, very little has been translated into English and what has is difficult to find. It is with great hope that we will see more of this great and talented, award-winning author's work translated, and dare I hope, that we will see more adventures from Detective Kusanagi and physicist Professor Yukawa (aka Detective Galileo)? That would truly be a dream come true.
Anna S. (Sayville, NY) (01/05/11)

An atmospheric thriller....
The Devotion of Suspect X is certainly not your run-of-the-mill thriller. I have to admit at first I found the premise a little far fetched, however by the time I was 50 pages into the story I was hopelessly hooked. Intelligent characters and plenty of twists and turns to keep even the jaded thriller fan happy.
Lisa E. (Cincinnati, OH) (01/04/11)

Battle of Wits
The plot of this novel strains credulity even more than most mysteries, but I still found it compelling. This is a Japanese novel in translation, and the elements of Japanese culture, as contrasted with American culture, that affect the plot are interesting. Also, all three of the major characters--our murderer; her devoted neighbor, our "Suspect X"; and a scientist who helps the police--are sympathetic and believable. We learn right away who killed our victim and why; it is how the murder is covered up and how the police are led astray that provide the mystery.
Wendy R. (Riverside, CA) (01/04/11)

Great Mystery
The novel is engaging and fast paced--not to mention a great puzzle. It's not often I don't see the end coming in crime fiction, but I honestly had no idea what to expect as the events unfolded in "The Devotion of Suspect X". Seeing the two geniuses at work, both Yukawa and Ishigami, as one tried to solve the crime and the other to hide it, I was reminded a bit of Sherlock Holmes.
Rebecca J. (Knoxville, TN) (01/01/11)

The devotion of suspect X
I love foreign mysteries and have read several Japanese ones so I was anxious to review this one. It did not disappoint. Very Hitchcockian in the way you saw what was coming and slowly but surely your worst fears were realized. The book was a great example of unwavering devotion going too far! The characters' names get a bit hard to keep straight but definitely worth the effort.
Katherine S. (seaford, VA) (12/30/10)

What we do for love
Like a math problem itself, two geniuses are pitted against each other as one tries to hide a murder, while the other tries to solve it. Starting somewhat slowly, I quickly found myself jumping ahead worrying how the characters would end up. It resolves only at the very end.
Neil W. (Tavares, FL) (12/29/10)

Mediocre
I found this Japanese mystery to be mediocre. The plot had some unusual twists and turns but it was not an easy book to stay interested in. I do not think the characters were sufficiently developed to really understand any of them. Perhaps the cultural differences were the true obstacle. The ending was unsatisfactory. I would not recommend it.
Laureen S. (Aurora, IL) (12/26/10)

Not What I Expected
After reading about this author's success in Japan and the premise of the novel, I was looking forward to reading The Devotion of Suspect X. I was disappointed though in the pace of the novel and in the development of the characters. I am not sure if this is the author's writing or the translation, but whichever I struggled to finish the book. Additionally, the ending fell short of what I would have hoped for this novel - the plot is a good one if the writing had equaled it.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T