Read what people think about Sentinel by Matthew Dunn, and write your own review.

Sentinel

A Spycatcher Novel

by Matthew Dunn

Sentinel by Matthew Dunn

• Published in USA  Aug 2012
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Sentinel

Cassandra E. (Fort Myers, Florida)

Sentinel by Matthew Dunn
As a spy novel this was very good. It was easy to follow- although the Russian names and places were hard to follow at first. I haven't read the first in the series and I lost some of the background. But I really enjoyed it. It was a fast moving story that kept me wanting to read the next chapter. The story of a disgruntled spy that decided to start a war between the U.S. and Russia was different and kept you wondering who, what and why. I now want to read the first in the series. I hope the hardcover has included maps- I always feel that maps let you know where you are going in the story.
Darlene C. (Woodstock, IL)

A tired premise
Spy books about the cold war with Russia seem dated and out of sync to me. I enjoy spy books and this one was well written if that is your bag. It is fast-paced and gives a view of the unglamorous side of being an undercover agent. f you don't mind the old Russia vs. US theme this would be a great summer read
Power Reviewer Peggy K. (Long Beach, CA)

Russian Tea
I loved this book. Will Cochrane is Jason Bourne and James Bond in one body and even then still tougher than both. This is a real spy thriller and the tension goes up and up and up until the end. The action is nonstop.

It reminded me most of Ludlum's work but this book is smaller than most of Ludlum's. I would suggest that this book will interest male adult readers mostly but there are women out there like myself who enjoy this genre and I have to say it is the best I've read in a long time.

It has the intelligence of the British spy thriller writers like Le Carre but the action of the American writers. It has it all including a plausible plot, travel, romance and strong characterization. There are so many twists and turns it will make you dizzy.

Perfect summer book but beware you may not be able to put it down once started. If you are like me you will head for the bookstore to find Mr. Dunn's first book and then you'll be waiting for book number three to come out.
Power Reviewer Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO)

Snowy Thriller
The Sentinel is a heart racing page turner. Matthew Dunn engages the reader from the opening chapter and never lets go until the end. Will Cochrane is a character the reader will want to see more of, tough, resourceful and intriguing. One can't help but wonder at his backstory. Set in snowy Russia, this is a thrilling chiller of a story.
Power Reviewer Mary O. (Boston, MA)

Page turner
Will Cochrane is a memorable Cold War character and you feel like you know him as you are ensconced in the book. A typical British spy thriller that makes you want to read it in one sitting. A perfect summer beach read!!
LiteraryLinda Wyoming

Sentinel and His Surprise
Yes, there is a surprise ending which I never expected. I must admit I had trouble getting "into" this book. It probably had to do with being so busy that I read only a few minutes at a time. Once I was free of commitment, I began to like the book and ended up enjoying it. Reading spy thrillers is my forte; hence, my surprise at having trouble getting into it. Will Cochrane is quite a spy and I enjoyed his abilities. He seems to be well-trained in his various skills, yet he does have some warmness, though not much. He is such a harsh and evil-seeming man whose harsh methods could only be honed to efficiency by his hard work and his loyalty to his country. I think anyone who enjoys spy thrillers will enjoy this book. Thanks for the opportunity to read it.
Mark B. (Jackson, MI)

Sentinel, a Thriller
Set in a modern-day "cold war" Sentinel takes place in Russia and eastern Europe as CIA/MI6 agents rush to find who is killing their double agents -- a man who wants to start the nuclear war to end all wars. I am not a big fan of nuclear war novels, but found myself drawn into the single life of Will and his mission. A compassionate, yet well-trained MI6 agent, Will seeks out his captured friend to help resolve the impending war. Filled with travels throughout Europe and Russia, Sentinel is a good read for a long winter night. My one complaint with the author was his bouncing back and forth between metric and US scales, most particularly MPH/KPH. Being set in Eastern Europe and Russia, I would stick with the metric conversion. All in all, I recommend it if you don't mind a lot of killing and some visual gore.
Carolyn L. (Summerville, SC)

Sentinel
This book held my attention and moved along quickly. There could have been more character development, but it probably would have helped if I had read the first novel, Spycatcher, beforehand (and I intend to read it). All of the Russian names and places, as well as the acronyms, made it a little hard to follow at times, but on the whole, I thought it was a good thriller.

The Noise of Time