Read what people think about Sister by Rosamund Lupton, and write your own review.

by Rosamund Lupton

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

• Published in USA  Jun 2011
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Sister

Beverly J. (Huntersville, NC)

Heart-breaking Suspense
This was an accomplished debut novel that grabbed me from the first page to the unexpected finish. While the story read like a detective novel, it definitely has a feminine feel as it concentrates on the bond between the sisters, and the other female characters. I enjoyed how the suspense was built around the characters and builds one fact at a time. The author’s skills as a screen writer show as she vividly paints each scene. Many times I felt I was intruding into the intimate life of Beatrice as she bares her soul with the grief of losing her sister. The author masterfully blends suspense, intrigue, family secrets, literary aspects and the epistolary format to produce a chilling, tragic, heart-breaking story that despite the warning builds to an unexpected twist at the end.
Barbara F. (Saint Louis, MO)

By all means......
Do you have a sister?... then by all means read "Sister"....Only have brothers, then by all means read "Sister"....Only child? ...by all means read "Sister"
A five star absorbing, stylish winner....
Becky M. (Crumpler, NC)

Mystery of haunting beauty and compassion
This reader was engaged from the start of this hauntingly beautiful and compassionate mystery. With its gripping complexity and heart-wrenching passion, the story had about it the same unforgettable intensity of "The Lovely Bones". While the mystery itself creates a page-turner, the poetry of the love between sisters is even more dominant. Lupton's language adds depth and captures the sense of profound loss throughout the novel. When the narrator states, "grief is love turned into an eternal missing", the reader experiences the pain she feels at the loss of her sister. And at that point, there is no rest until the murderer is found or the last page ends.
Kristine L. (The Woodlands, TX)

Sister
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. While I had a little difficulty in the beginning understanding the flow of chapters and time sequence, I can honestly encourage every reader to hang in there! I read the book in little over one day of pure blissful reading of a great mystery. Having three sisters of my own, I thought the author nailed the unique relationship we all share with our sisters over the years. Job Well Done!
Susan P. (Boston, MA)

If You Have a Sister You Love, You'll Love This Book
This is a very hard-to-put-down story about a young British woman living and working in NYC who goes back to London when her younger sister goes missing. She tries to find out what happened and why. The story is believable although almost no one believes the older sister's views about what the younger sister did or would have done. As the older sister starts to look into her sister's life, she begins believing/trusting no one, as does the reader. It's told as a letter to the missing sister, with some back and forth in the timeline. The story is beautifully paced, giving the reader clues a little bit at a time. As enjoyable and well done as the mystery was, equally compelling were heart-breaking moments of the bond between sisters.
Linda S. (Oceanside, NY)

A Haunting Page Turner
It’s always a good feeling to start a book and to be engrossed right from the start; it’s an even better feeling when you close the book completely satisfied. This was my experience with “Sister”.

At first blush the premise seems rather mundane, Bee’s sister is missing. When Tess is found dead and her death is declared a suicide Bee refuses to accept it. The idea isn’t unique; but what sets this book apart is the author’s way of telling the story; the book is in the form of a letter from Bee to Tess. This open letter concept really lets us in on Bee’s thought process as she tries to tie all the threads of Tess’s story together.

The story is rich in details and character development and the writing is excellent. I did figure out part of the mystery but Lupton throws in a twist at the end that I did not see coming – although there were several clues along the way.

A real page-turner that still haunts me.
Carolyn A. (Questa, NM)

Sister
If you have ever suffered the sudden, unexpected death of a young loved one, this book will have you reliving the horror of those days. It is nonetheless, a compelling read, a book you cannot put down. You will be asking yourself who and why again and again. I'm not sure the ending really answers those questions. But I am recommending this book to discerning readers.
Mary Ellen (Canfield, OH)

Sister
Sister is an intriguing mystery which combines an unusual writing approach, a well-planned plot, and absorbing insights into family relationships and grief. It is a well-written, stylish novel with enough twists and clues presented in shifts of time and details to keep the reader intrigued as the plot develops. I found it to be a fast read and fortunately so, for I did not want to put it down.

• Book Jacket: The Ninth Hour

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E