Read what people think about The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene, and write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

The Headmaster's Wife

by Thomas Christopher Greene

The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene X
The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene

• Published in USA  Feb 2015

There are currently 32 reader reviews for The Headmaster's Wife

Deborah M. (Chambersburg, PA) (01/03/14)

Rather Depressing
What started out as a strange novel ended up also being a sad and depressing one. Arthur Winthrop, the 50-something headmaster of a Vermont prep school, has just been arrested for running naked in Central Park in the middle of a snowy winter's evening. In the police station, he begins to unravel his story. Bored with the job that he virtually inherited from his father and with his increasingly distant wife, Arthur has begun to drink heavily--and to obsess about one of his students. He confesses to having done some creepy and horrible things, putting his job on the line--and now this.

Halfway through the book, I began to wonder why it was titled The Headmaster's WIFE--and then the author drops a bomb that totally turns the plot around, devoting the second half of the book to Elizabeth Winthrop's story. I won't reveal what changes the reader's perspective, in case anyone wants to read the book, but suffice it to say that it's one of those revelations that is truly surprising and that also kind of makes you groan because you should have figured it out. Although Greene tries to conclude on a hopeful note, I found the sadness overwhelming. Perhaps that is because, as Greene notes in the afterward, he started writing it during the six months that his now-deceased daughter spent in a neo-natal ICU; he dedicates the book to her.

Written in short chapters and a relatively spare style, The Headmaster's Wife is a quick read with some compelling (if creepy) moments. It ended up being quite different from the publishers' blurb. Someone who enjoys psychological studies might enjoy it more than I did.
Maggie S. (Durango, CO) (12/31/13)

The Headmasters Wife
The Headmasters Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene is a very sad novel and I would use caution when recommending it. I was ready to put it down because I could not sympathize with many of the characters and I didn't like the way the story was unfolding, but the author tricked me with a major plot twist so I did read it to the end. Not one of my favorites.
William B. (East Peoria, IL) (12/24/13)

Headmaster's Loves
In very simple prose, an effective, well-told tale with a couple of suprises.
Gretchen M. (Martinsburg, WV) (12/23/13)

A Fast-paced Read
A story that grabbed me from the beginning. It's the kind of story that you think you have figured out but you don't until small details are reveled at the end. This book is a sharp turn from Greene's "Mirror Lake" but has the same superb character development and unique writing style.
Diane D. (South Portland, ME) (12/20/13)

Riveting & Real!
I loved the Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene! It grips you right from the beginning and introduces you to broken people that seem just too real to forget. I was often reminded of Stuart O'Nan's descriptive style of writing about the mundane. I will definitely go back and read his other books!
Dorothy L. (Manalapan, NJ) (12/19/13)

An Enjoyable Read
I liked this book. It was a good read from beginning to end and kept me interested throughout. It is clear from the first page that things are not what they seem. The world of private school is depicted well. The characters, especially the headmaster, kept me engaged and wondering what was going to happen next. I think it was also well written. I liked the symbolism of the river throughout and its influence on the characters. It was more than part of the environment. It was a thread which permeated the book. I would recommend it to my book club.
Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA) (12/18/13)

The Headmaster's Wife
'The Headmaster's Wife' is a book that I will recommend to my friends. The writing is beautiful and sensual. I liked that the chapters were short. The book is a psychological compelling story about a Headmaster and his wife. One has a close up view of a private boarding school. Anyone who enjoyed 'The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls' would like this book. I look forward to reading his other books.
Jean N. (New Richmond, OH) (12/17/13)

True to LIfe...Unpredictable
I cannot really classify this book as a mystery, a love story, or a story of a marriage. It is that and more. Like life, it takes quick twists and turns and is unpredictable. I have never been "inside" of an elite school like this, and that was interesting as well...the routines, the politics etc.
I would definitely recommend this book as a well written, fast paced novel.
I am looking forward to checking out Thomas Greene's previous novels.

The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins
  • Book Jacket: We Own the Sky
    We Own the Sky
    by Luke Allnutt
    Rob and Anna Coates have an idyllic life together; they have successful careers, love each other ...
  • Book Jacket: Some Trick
    Some Trick
    by Helen DeWitt
    In this erudite collection of 13 stories, Helen DeWitt explores the theme of stymied creativity, ...

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

M T G Before I S