MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Spirit Keeper by K. B. Laugheed, and write your own review.

The Spirit Keeper

by K. B. Laugheed

The Spirit Keeper

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Spirit Keeper

Bess W. (Marlton, NJ) (09/02/13)

An Awesome Journey
I thoroughly enjoyed Katie's adventure--was able to read the book this holiday weekend on the beach. Thirteen has always been my lucky number and as the thirteenth child I knew Katie was going to be lucky. Her journey through the wilderness and her discovery of herself was quite an adventure. The three main characters, Katie, Syawa and Hector were well developed and multidimensional. You felt you knew them. The writing is very descriptive and enables one to visualize the journey and the characters. This would be a good pick for a book club.
Mary Lou C. (Shenandoah Junction, WV) (08/30/13)

Spellbinding
This tale held my attention from beginning to end. I couldn't put it down. The characters were quite well developed and interesting, and I felt I was accompanying them on their long journey into the wilderness. Katie, this very young woman, took a leap of faith and her courage and determination carried her through a wonderful adventure to a fulfilling new life.
Betty B. (Irving, TX) (08/29/13)

A Good Read
I enjoyed reading The Spirit Keeper...it kept me interested and it was also a very quick read. The three main characters are well developed, and easy to like. It was especially interesting to watch Katie become the Spirit Keeper as she made the arduous journey across our country. As I realized that the book was ending sooner than I would have wished, I remembered there were two journals and so I am hopeful we will meet Katie again as she fills up the second journal, and shares the rest of her journey with us.
Ilyse B. (Howell, NJ) (08/29/13)

A Great Read
I absolutely loved this book. It was many things - a love story, an adventure story, and a tale of overcoming obstacles. It was also the best sort of historical fiction-a book that makes you feel as though you are in a different time and place. The author seems to have a real love for nature - the descriptions of the places the main characters travel on their journey are really beautiful. In addition, the language is very accessible - I was pulled right into the story and finished it in 2 days. The characters were very well drawn and interesting. My only complaint is that the story ended abruptly - I wasn't ready for it to end! I really hope the author is working on a sequel. I highly recommend this book.

• Book Jacket: The North Water
    The North Water
    by Ian McGuire
    In early 1859 the crew of the Volunteer, a Greenland-bound whaler, is making the most of the last ...
  • Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...

The Children
    by Ann Leary

With remarkable wit and insight, Ann Leary pulls back the curtain on one blended family.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun