MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about Close My Eyes by Sophie McKenzie, and write your own review.

Close My Eyes

by Sophie McKenzie

Close My Eyes

• Published in USA  Jul 2013
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 40 reader reviews for Close My Eyes

Dee H. (Greenfield, CA) (04/25/13)

Close My Eyes... Or Open Them
Genever has suffered a loss that has haunted her for eight years. Unexpectedly, a woman shows up at her door with a message that fills her with painful hope and an almost frantic desire for the truth. From this point on the story takes twists and turns that make the reader wonder about Genever's sanity and safety. Befriended by a man she dares to trust, together they seek the truth about what happened to Genever's baby. I enjoyed this book very much, it was a real page-turner and hope to read more by this author.
Wendy F. (Kalamazoo, MI) (04/23/13)

Close My Eyes - Suspense!!
Sophie McKenzie's Close My Eyes was a great suspenseful read. Hearing Geniver's story of heartbreak from losing her daughter to the unbelievable possibility of Beth being alive leads the reader along a series of twists and turns. You are not sure if the cover up is real and you are constantly wondering who might be involved. It begs the question, do we really know the people close to us? An engaging and satisfying mystery!
Ann B. (Bethlehem, PA) (04/22/13)

A Thrilling Ride
Like any good roller coaster thrill ride, you climb into the car, strap yourself securely, and begin the climb to the top. So goes this mystery thriller. Along the way, the characters are introduced, setting and plot are developed and predictions and conclusions are drawn with care. At the pinnacle of the first hill, one appears to see clearly, but then the harrowing ride begins. Close My Eyes is a Class A roller coaster ride, as we enter each hairpin turn with lightening fast speed, changing everything we have come to believe upside-down. And like most good coaster rides, we come to a screeching halt with a sense of wanting more...or do we?
Close My Eyes is this season's Gone Girl mystery thriller, with all the energy but more satisfying. Sophie McKenzie has written a book that will keep you thinking long after the book cover closes.
Judith M. (San Diego, CA) (04/21/13)

A Gripping Thriller
The story of Geniver, her husband and stillborn baby starts slowly and seemed at first trite and predictable. I almost quit, but the story of hearing their baby was born alive and spirited away was fiendishly intriguing. Reader beware, do not give up! The plot gallops to it's conclusion. This psychological thriller is as sinister and exciting as Gone Girl, but has a much better ending!! It's bound to be a big summer read.
Pamela F. (Grants Pass, OR) (04/16/13)

You will probably want to know how it ends...
I absolutely hated this book by page 70. I debated on whether to finish it or not. The writing was not great, the main character, Gen, I found really annoying...and the plot was way beyond what I could accept. So, I read other reviews. "It is slow the first 125 pages" I think I read. Okay, I will read on. At around 125 pages, I did not put it down. Now I have finished the book. I still think the writing is not that good, the main character tedious and the plot way out of bounds. But I did finish it because I wanted to know how it ended. I figured out a major plot twist way too early. I found the book very repetitious. I am glad I finished it, but am also happy it is done. It is no "Gone Girl". But if you get past page 125 you will probably want to know how it ends. And so I give it 3 stars...instead of not finishing it.
Christine B. (St. Paul, MN) (04/15/13)

Close Your Eyes
I really would give this book 4 1/2 stars. Even though it was a bit unbelievable the story sure held your interest. I thought I was doing really well figuring it out and then would be proved wrong time after time - almost too many twists and turns. The most fun and perplexing is figuring out who is writing the diary on the side. I got that wrong too! An absolutely fun read and one I would recommend.
Sharon A. (Tierra Verde, FL) (04/14/13)

Close Your Eyes, Don't Peek
A book that keeps you guessing all the way through. There were so many facets to keep you intrigued with figuring out "who done it" and the author twists and turns the story at every opportunity. The characters were interesting and well developed. The author descriptions were vivid so that I had a mental picture of each character. I had to go back and re-read some of the parts after I finished to fill in the blanks of the side story. Certainly, there will be a lot of comparisons to the dark story in Gone Girl. I would certainly recommend this book to others that like a lot of intrigue in their fiction.
Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (04/14/13)

Spell Binding
If you love a good mystery; this is your book. From page one the story takes you on a journey that from page to page the reader doesn't know who is crazy, who is lying or what twist the plot is going to take. It is full of surprises and a book the reader will not want to put down. The author does a great job with the ending. As far as I am concerned, this is a "must read." Enjoy.

• Book Jacket: Girl in the Blue Coat
    Girl in the Blue Coat
    by Monica Hesse
    Set in Amsterdam in January 1943, Monica Hesse's young adult novel, Girl in the Blue Coat, ...
  • Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T