Read what people think about The Last Girl by Jane Casey, and write your own review.

A Maeve Kerrigan Novel

by Jane Casey

The Last Girl by Jane Casey X
The Last Girl by Jane Casey

• Published in USA  May 2013
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Last Girl

Vy A. (Phoenix, AZ) (04/26/13)

The Last Girl
The fascinating prologue to the story drew me in totally but the rest of the story did not live up to my expectations. I normally like police procedure novels but I found the sub-plots confusing. Told in first person from Detective Constable Maeve Kerrigan's point of view, Maeve is a likeable character as she constantly questions her judgment and abilities. She is a character who grows in professional confidence by the end of the case. This book seems to be more about Maeve than the crime as she struggles with her personal relationship with boyfriend Rob, a fellow policeman. She also has issues with her cynical partner DI Derwent. Their constant battering and dialogue however is one of the best features of the book. The other characters, both victims and suspects, seem a little exaggerated and the ending of the book felt somewhat contrived.
Sandra S. (Charlotte, NC) (04/25/13)

The Last Girl
I enjoyed the plot of this book and thought that the characters were very well written. The main character had real life flaws and seemed real overall. The mystery to the novel was interesting and kept me guessing until very near the end. I would definitely recommend this book.
Monica W. (Port Jefferson, NY) (04/25/13)

The Last Girl by Jane Casey
I have to admit the only contemporary British mystery I have read before this one was Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley mysteries. I also knew that this is book 3 in a series. Usually I have to read series in order, but that was not going to work within the time frame. Fortunately there is enough background provided so even readers who have not read the first two books quickly get a grip on the characters. The story opens with a young girl desperate to please her father swimming laps in the pool. She finishes and goes inside and finds her mother and twin sister murdered- stabbed to death. The father/husband of the murdered mother and daughter is one Phillip Kennford - high powered attorney who defends those who most find indefensible. With a client list like that it seems likely the Kennford is the real target. However no good, well plotted mystery ever goes in such a nice straight line and this book is no exception. DC (Detective Constable) Maeve Kerrigan is on the case as well as being involved in a series of brutal gang murders (the Kennford case drives most of the plot, but the gang murders do pop up from time to time). Let's face it, its highly unlikely the police are only working on one case at a time. The characters are well written, smart, and well rounded. Even those who don't have a major role are well described. The story starts off a bit slow, but starts to pick up as more and more mysteries are discovered. Maeve's personal life is part of the narrative. She struggles at times to just be happy in her relationship which makes her a nicely well rounded character. The interpersonal relationships are well written and interesting. The characters are human with all too human flaws and frailties. The mystery itself is good, nicely complex and well written. I think I may have found a new mystery series to read...
Monica G. (San Antonio, TX) (04/23/13)

Fast Moving Read
DC Maeve Kerrigan is a fresh detective with a condescending, know it all, chauvinistic partner and a boss who may or may not be tumbling from the pedestal on which she's placed him. Factor in the current case of a prominent defense attorney who is unwilling to work with the police to help find the killer of his murdered wife and daughter, and you've got a pretty lively read.

I'd like to have read all the books in this series as there are some back stories that play a bit into the plot but overall, this book stands alone. The character types are a little tired but their personalities are solid and thought out. Even though Kerrigan's partner is a thorn, Kerrigan holds her own and works the case in spite of it. The fact that she is somewhat "fresh" helps her see the case the way her partner cannot and her boss, the police superintendent appreciates and respects that about her.

DC Maeve Kerrigan has her flaws. She isn't a genius who is able to make cognitive leaps to immediately solve the crime. She is human and she is a good investigator and this is what translates into a good read.
Molly K. (San Jose, CA) (04/22/13)

A Delicious Whodunnit
I found this story entertaining. It kept me guessing all the way. Generally, I don't care for novels written in the first person, one dimensional at best, narcissistic at worst. But, this story is told through conversation, and it is delightful.

Characters are well developed, and the reader has no trouble keeping track of who's who.

Downsides: The detective Derwent is one eyelash short of being misogynistic, and his sexual bantering with Maeve is tasteless and unwelcome. I also found Maeve's constant wariness of her boyfriend tiresome.

Overall, a good read, and I plan to read her two previous books.
Elaine M. (Beaver Falls, PA) (04/21/13)

The Last Girl
This was the first book that I have read by Jane Casey, I truly enjoyed the story line and the characters' interactions. These interactions made the reader feel a part of the story and led her through many twists and turns believing she could solve this mystery. Casey had an ending that, this reader, did not see coming! Unfortunately, this story is part of a series; so the other two plots that were intertwined in the story did not come to a conclusion. Therefore, the reader is left waiting for the next book.
Constance C. (Manchester, NH) (04/20/13)

the last girl by Jane casey
The first book I read by Jane Casey was The Reckoning and I was impressed with the book and really looking forward to her next one. In fact, had her name written on my to watch for list. Well, I guess an author can't be brilliant all the time, I was disappointed , I found the plotlines weak, much irrelevant context, and a very contrived ending. Someone who has not read this author, should start with The Burning or The Reckoning. I will watch for the next book Jane Casey writes. and hope its as brilliant as the past books
Kathy S. (Danbury, CT) (04/20/13)

The Last Girl
I have enjoyed all of Jane Casey's books, and "The Last Girl" was no exception. Set in London, the book opens with a grisly double-murder and no viable suspects other than the husband - maybe. The novel is told in first person by DC Maeve Kerrigan, a female detective looking to make her mark in a traditionally male dominated field. The interplay between Maeve and her boss, DI Josh Derwent, is engaging and adds a note of levity to an otherwise grim investigation. With no witnesses, interviews that raise more questions than provide answers, family secrets, half-truths, bold lies and blind alleys, this book will keep the reader guessing and entertained right up to the last page.

Driving Miss Norma

by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E