What do readers think of The Jericho Deception by Jeffrey Small? Write your own review.

by Jeffrey Small

The Jericho Deception by Jeffrey Small X
The Jericho Deception by Jeffrey Small

• Published in USA  May 2013
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Jericho Deception

Nancy H. (Foster City, CA)

Chilling
I'm writing this very shortly after hearing of President Obama's wonderful brain mapping initiative and I must admit, having read this book made me immediately wonder if/how mapping the brain could be co-opted for ill. I found this book to be a thought-provoking read on many levels with interesting characters you could care about, and villains well drawn enough to push the story forward at an exciting pace. I also found it interesting that the situation was viewed from such different perspectives. I enjoyed this more than enough to go investigate Jeffrey Small's previous book.
Sally G. (Saint Johns, FL)

Jericho Deception
I had to give it a four as it was way too wordy. Description is needed but it was overkill.

The story was really good and deserves a 5 as was in a small way like the TV show, Person of Interest. The timing was off , just when you got into the story it would shift you to another completely different scene.
Nancy C. (Newton, KS)

The Jericho Deception
Jeffrey Small introduces us to the world of academic research and the competition for funding as technology occupies a larger and larger role in our lives. Mind control, terrorists and the desire to succeed at whatever the cost collide in the early pages. As Dr. Ethan Lightman approaches a breakthrough in his research, his world is disrupted by forces competing for his design. The pace is fast and rarely breaks down. With a suitable cast of villains and good guys; Jeffery Small gives us his first novel in great style. If you are intrigued by technology and cutting age research as well as suspense and action, then you will enjoy this book.
Gerald R. (Pompton Lakes, NJ)

Theologists vs Terrorists
I must admit that I was a bit skeptical when I requested this book because I am not a fan of books about religion. This, however, is more of a adventure thriller of the Dan Brown, James Rollins, and Chris Kuzneski genre. The religion based aspect kept me from rating it a 5. The plot is well thought out and developed and the characters are all too believable. I found the basic psychological premise of the story a bit too far fetched, but the way science is progressing; who knows? I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a fast paced, action packed - yet thoughtful, well crafted story.
Sue P. (Richardson, TX)

The Jericho Deception
A well-written novel with a unique voice. While the narrative was engaging, it was still a bit wordy and the whole concept was difficult to follow. That being said – I enjoyed the novel and thought the premise fascinating.
Jan T. (Leona Valley, CA)

The Jericho Deception
This is a Dan-Brown-esque thriller so if you liked the Da Vinci Code you will like this too. The premise involves using a "God Helmet" to recreate communication with a higher power. It connects two faiths but with some harrowing intentions. It is hard to put down and there is a love story entwined with the mystery. I would recommend this novel for my friends who like to explore their spirituality.
Barbara H. (Richmond, IN)

Dangerous Project
"The Jericho Project" by Jeffrey Small is an interesting read. It is both a thriller and a detailed search to create the Logos, a machine that produces a religious experience bordering on meeting with God. The book also involves a conspiracy to misuse this machine to transform Islamic fundamentalists into avid Christians.

Logos was being developed on the campus of Yale University primarily by two faculty members. Funding is nearing the end when suddenly new funding appears. This somewhat mysterious new funding marks the beginning of intrigue, murder, and conspiracy in the novel.

In the beginning the book has several chapters through which the reader meets a group of seemingly unrelated characters in a variety of locales. All of these come together in the story, which becomes extremely exciting in the second half. The main characters in the story in the beginning are very benign, but the characters involved in the conspiracy are malevolent, and pitted against the protagonist., require action and ingenuity on his part.

The Jericho Project is very detailed, thought-provoking, and also very exciting.
Molly B. (Longmont, CO)

Fun and Creativity Outweigh Flaws
This was a fun and interesting read, despite belabored elements. The premise is fascinating – that a machine can trigger divine revelations. Deeper understanding of the relationship between physical and spiritual worlds results from epileptic seizures or their replications by human-directed energy, via machine. Mr. Small's story line about the use of this ability is wild – to convert different religions to Christianity through machine-created mystical experiences to promote world peace, and to change the balance of power in terrorist countries, not through commerce or war, but through religion. I forgive Mr. Small for beating me over the head with the romantic and personal dilemmas, where the obvious is stated and then restated, because I enjoyed his crazy story and his nuggets about God. One such offering is that God is in a dimension that we humans can't understand, and that "Art, nature, beauty, love, peace, and the mystical states associated with religion may be our glimpses at this divine reality."

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Crossroads
    Crossroads
    by Jonathan Franzen
    Jonathan Franzen's Crossroads transports readers to the early 1970s, introducing us to a family on ...
  • Book Jacket: Chasing Me to My Grave
    Chasing Me to My Grave
    by Winfred Rembert
    Chasing Me to My Grave might be the most authentic, vulnerable autobiography you'll ever read. ...
  • Book Jacket: My Monticello
    My Monticello
    by Jocelyn Nicole Johnson
    In the incendiary opening story of My Monticello, Jocelyn Nicole Johnson's debut collection, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wrong End of the Telescope
    The Wrong End of the Telescope
    by Rabih Alameddine
    Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope follows Mina, a Lebanese American doctor who ...

When Two Feathers Fell from the Sky
by Margaret Verble
A deliciously strange and daringly original novel from Pulitzer Prize finalist Margaret Verble.

Sisters of the Great War
    by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man...

Y A B Up T W T