MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Edge of the Earth by Christina Schwarz, and write your own review.

by Christina Schwarz

• Published in USA  Apr 2013
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 57 reader reviews for The Edge of the Earth

Julie H. (Pine Grove, PA) (10/21/12)

The Edge of the Earth
A well-written historical fiction novel with an interesting physical setting, "The Edge of the Earth", was an interesting read. The strong female characters and setting drew me into the book. I appreciated the character development of the protagonist, yet was slightly disappointed in the lack of description of some of the other characters. This book kept my attention throughout, and I found the resolution satisfying. This would make a great book club selection, with many topics for discussion.
Sandra S. (Charlotte, NC) (10/20/12)

Enjoyable read!
I loved the characters.They were well developed and I felt they really made the book. I also loved the gothic feel of this story. The pacing was wonderful as was the suspense. I definitely recommend this book.
Dianne S. (Green Valley, AZ) (10/19/12)

Wow factor
I read this book in nearly one sitting. I admit though, that it took me awhile to get into it and I had to go back and figure out who was narrating in the first part. At the end of the book it was very clear.

The story was a real snapshot into that era. Trudy's defiance in marrying who she wanted and ultimate resolve in living with that decision was inspiring.

Once the action started rolling in regards to the "mermaid", that is when the wow factor really kicked in. The fact that all the characters were living in such close quarters and yet there were so many secrets was just spine tingling. The end was almost like just rewards or just punishment.

I would definitely recommend this book to other readers & book clubs. There would be a lot to discuss. I am going to go back and re read "Drowning Ruth" again. I remember being "wowed" by that too.
Margie S. (Mount Joy, PA) (10/19/12)

Lighthouse and artifacts
At first I thought "The Edge of the Earth" was going to be one of the many haunted lighthouse mysteries that I've encountered. I was duly impressed that that was not the case. Yes, there is a mystery involved, but it doesn't overwhelm the storyline of the supplanting of an almost rich city girl to the solitude of a desolate piece of rocky earth.
The shell, animal, sea-life examination was somewhat reminiscent of Tracy Chevalier's fascinating "Remarkable Creatures". But where "Creatures" is largely about artifacts, Schwarz's "Edge" more about relationships, choices and survival, although I thoroughly enjoyed her explanations of the tidal pool and it's inhabitants. I read the book in one day (and night), finding it difficult to put down.
Lorraine R. (Southampton, NY) (10/19/12)

Haunting and magical
THE EDGE OF THE EARTH is another winner by author Christina Schwawrz. Set in the 1890's, a well educated young woman,Trudy, leaves her home to journey with her new husband, Oscar, to a remote lighthouse on the west coast. They live and work with a family, the Crawley's who have many dark secrets. The language of this novel is what draws the reader in. The author's language is beautifully lyrical as she describes a land that is isolated but dramatically wonderous. For example, "That night the rain began to fall so thickly and heavily, it seemed as thought the bowl of the ocean had risen into the sky and upended itself." The weather and magical beauty of the Pacific coast are the backdrop of Trudy's new world. She falls in love with it as the reader will fall in love with this haunting tale.
Power Reviewer Freya H. (Phoenix, AZ) (10/18/12)

The Edge of the Earth
I enjoyed this book, primarily because of the author's writing style. The story was interesting, both because of the period in time, and the setting. The characters were not predictable which always makes the story more unforgettable. Also, the pace of the book was excellent. I think it would make a good book club selection.
Jeanette L. (Marietta, GA) (10/17/12)

The Edge of Earth
"Women in the late 1800's were expected to marry at a young age and portray herself as a delicate individual, weak and helpless. Her opinion was not to be expressed publicly, at least not in the presence of men." The protagonist, Trudy, wants more excitement in her life and instead of marrying the son of her parents closes friends she maries Oskar and enigmatic, ambitious man who takes a job at the edge of the earth, a remote lighthouse on the wild coast of California. This book is an easy read; it keeps you wanting to know what happens next. I feel that the characters could have been more developed but all in all it was an enjoyable book. The setting reminds me of another book I just read the light between oceans also about a couple that takes a job at a remote lighthouse.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD) (10/17/12)

The Edge of the Earth
Loved the book Drowning Ruth and the The Edge of the Earth did not disappoint at all! Christina Schwarz did a great job with this novel. I was sorry to have it come to an end, and even more surprised at the twist! I would recommend this book to book clubs as I am sure there would be much discussion.

• Book Jacket: The North Water
    The North Water
    by Ian McGuire
    In early 1859 the crew of the Volunteer, a Greenland-bound whaler, is making the most of the last ...
  • Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...

The Children
    by Ann Leary

With remarkable wit and insight, Ann Leary pulls back the curtain on one blended family.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun