Read what people think about A Lonely Death by Charles Todd, and write your own review.

An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery

by Charles Todd

A Lonely Death by Charles Todd

• Published in USA  Jan 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 31 reader reviews for A Lonely Death

Kathleen W. (New Brighton,, MN) (11/23/10)

Slow and steady wins this race!
I have wanted to read something by Charles Todd for some time and A LONELY DEATH was my start. I could not read it at a fast clip which was actually a good thing. The author presents the novel in a very methodical pace and a swift reading would be disrespectful both to the language utilized and the developing plot of this complicated mystery. I also was refreshed by the author's "everyman" approach to Inspector Rutledge. He is presented as wonderfully human, with warts and all, not a Jack Reacher or a Mitch Rapp both of whom always tie everything up nicely.Worth my time and worth yours as well. I recommend this book.
Laura A. (Jupiter, Florida) (11/23/10)

A Lonely Death - Ho Hum
I found this book very difficult to follow and the characters were dry and uninteresting. The plot line was disappointing since the book is a whodunnit and the who the perpetrator was, wasn't ever much of a mystery. Some books impact you, some change you, some entertain you. This one bored me.
Sherry H. (Naperville, Illinois) (11/23/10)

A Lonely Death
Charles Todd seduced me on the first page. “A Lonely Death” is a mystery that touches on the effects of war, keeping secrets, and hidden agendas. I loved the book because his character and scenery descriptions took me to post WWI England. His main character, Inspector Rutledge and his haunted conscious, personified by Hamish, is raw, complex and very believable.

This would be a good selection for a book club. It’s a good mystery with a number of other topics to explore and discuss.
Rebecca J. (Knoxville, TN) (11/18/10)

A lonely death
As a mystery reader and history major, I enjoyed this book, especially the references to WWI which had ended shortly before the story takes place. A series of men are murdered and the question is whether their murders have to do with the war in which they all served. This book is evidently part of an Ian Rutledge (the detective) series and I think I would have enjoyed this book much more if I had first read other books featuring him. However, one does not have to have read the series, and the novel is well written and will be enjoyed by many.
Jan B. (Aiken, SC) (11/15/10)

A Lonely Death
Scotland Yard Detective Inspector Ian Rutledge has returned in an intriguing case that kept me guessing until the end. As usual, I was not disappointed by the writing team of Charles Todd. The characters are complex and well drawn. Ian Rutledge risk all to solve this dark case even as he continues to deal with his own darkness resulting from the war. If you are looking for a well written story filled with complex psychological characters and twist and turns this is a read for you.
Joe S. (Port Orange, FL) (11/14/10)

Another great read in a great series.
I have read and thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and this one, the latest, did not disappoint me. The characters are very well developed, the plot well thought out, and the historical research obviously quite extensive. Like the others in the series, the book brings out the traumatic impact the war had not only on the members of the military, but their families and friends. I highly recommend this book and the entire series.
Patricia S. (New Canaan, CT) (11/14/10)

Another Inspector Rutledge winner
Although I haven't read any of the other 12 Rutledge mysteries written by the mother-son writing team Charles Todd, I'm looking forward to starting tomorrow. I had to refer back to a review of the first book to understand more about Rutledge's alter ego Hamish Mcleod. This book has many layers and many deaths and just when you think you've solved the mystery-something else happens in the small towns in England. I liked that it took place in the 1920's when life was a little less electronic.
Jenny P. (Cupertino, CA) (11/12/10)

Excellent Read
The latest entry in the "Inspector Ian Rutledge" series is a great read, full of twists and turns and perfectly captures the atmosphere of England after the 1st World War. The mother-son duo writes seamlessly and some of the descriptive passages are truly engaging. Even though the identity of the villain becomes clear as the plot develops, my interest was held to the very last page. The character of Ian Rutledge is endlessly fascinating and the setting in the south of England is extremely vivid. The circumstances in which Inspector Rutledge finds himself remind me of the William Monk stories by Anne Perry and anyone who has read these books will be sure to find this series riveting. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes a well plotted mystery.

Discover your next great read here

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Y S M B, I'll S Y