Read what people think about A Lonely Death by Charles Todd, and write your own review.

A Lonely Death

An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery

by Charles Todd

A Lonely Death by Charles Todd X
A Lonely Death by Charles Todd

• Published in USA  Jan 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 31 reader reviews for A Lonely Death

Kim L. (cary, IL) (11/07/10)

Intrigue
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this intriguing story with its well developed characters. I found the book hard to stop reading. Rutledge is a very likeable character. The story was well played out and not easy to predict the ending. The setting was most appropriate and added to the mystique of the story.
Norman G. (Diamond Bar, CA) (11/06/10)

Great central storyline
This is the second Charles Todd book I have read. The mystery itself is compelling and the story develops nicely to a satisfying conclusion. He did keep Hamish out of the story more, which makes for a better read. The weakness of the book lies in the distracting secondary story lines that never develop well and only serve as a distraction. However, the the small village life, the well-drawn characters and the mysterious garrotings all highly recommend an excellent read.
Eileen B. (Long Island, NY) (11/06/10)

A Hystorical Mystery
This is my first book I have read in the series. I felt that it was a little slow moving and some of the characters were flat. There were times that I did not known where Rutledge was as he was traveling around the country. I know that this is a stand alone novel but if I had read some of the other books in the series, I may have understood Rutledge better. When I found out who the killer was I was not impressed but I read on. I am not saying it is an awful novel but it does not suit my taste.
Betty B. (Irving, TX) (11/06/10)

Another Great English Mystery
The mother and son writing team, Charles Todd, have produced another great mystery in their Ian Rutledge series. Lonely Death is the 13th book which features a young Scotland Yard Inspector, recently returned from the Great War, shell-shocked with mental war wounds which are always present. Set in 1920 the series is an atmospheric depiction of the post-war era in England. Never far from his war memories, Inspector Rutledge uses his intellect and his experience from the war to investigate step-by-step until he solves his cases. He's a character you will respect, enjoy and root for. This book stands alone if you have not read the series, but once you read it, you will probably want to read the first book in the series, A Test of Wills.
Barbara R. (Fort Myers, FL) (11/06/10)

A Lonely Death = A Deep Read
The Lonely Death is a tightly plotted book. Many twists and turns . You are taken into corners and then let out again with more knowledge. It took me quite awhile to figure out the killer, but there was much guessing . Much enjoyed. Will read more of Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge books.
Loren B. (Appleton, WI) (10/31/10)

wonderful historical mystery
I have read all the previous novels in the Ian Rutledge series and they have all been not only well-developed mysteries but also fascinating insights into the effects of war on the human character. This latest novel was no exception and I highly recommend it.

While this novel, as all the others, can be enjoyed on its on merit, I found that starting with the first in the series is helpful.
Joan P. (Owego, NY) (10/29/10)

A Lonely Death
I'm not usually a fan of mystery stories and requested this book because it is set in the period following WW1 in England. It was interesting to see how difficult it was to solve a case without modern investigative procedures-no DNA evidence,computers,or other diagnostic devices. The characters were engaging and faced many of the problems we face today such as social inequality, post traumatic stress disorder and bullying.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more Inspector Ian Rutledge mysteries.

• Book Jacket: Only Child