Read what people think about A Thread of Sky by Deanna Fei, and write your own review.

by Deanna Fei

• Published in USA  Apr 2010

There are currently 21 reader reviews for A Thread of Sky

Ginny P. (Alexandria, Virginia) (03/29/10)

A Thread of Sky
An outstanding book, especially by a new, published author. The characters are strong and complex without being predictable. The author has developed a wide-range of women characters: a modern-day teenager getting ready to leave her family for college, three women in between with their own unique challenges, and a grandmother at the end of her fascinating life who is re-examining her defining moments. Although this book takes places within the context of an Asian family and backdrop, anyone who enjoys strong characters, family dynamics, and debut novels will appreciate this stunning book.
Beth C. (Sioux Falls, SD) (03/29/10)

Mothers/Daughters and the Sights & Sounds of China
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Deanna Fei's book, "A Thread of the Sky". This novel weaves a marvelous tapestry - both with the relationships of grandmother, sisters, and daughters and the history and perceptions of life that each brings to their two-week vacation trip to China.

I found the characters to be very realistic in their relationships with each other and in their reactions to what they were seeing. Fei does a marvelous job describing the scenes in various Chinese locales and the reactions of the Chinese -American daughers to the food, the shops, the toilet facilities as well as the actual sights.

This would be a great discussion book for book groups.
Julie H. (Pine Grove, PA) (03/28/10)

A Thread of Sky
Secrets, both large and small, figured prominently in this well-written novel. The novel unfolded slowly, giving tidbits of each of the six women's lives in turn. The writing was honest and the characters were real. I was slightly disappointed that the story felt as though it could have been written in any setting, it was more about the women than China. Overall a worthwhile read.
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (03/27/10)

A bit confusing
I started "A Thread of Sky" looking forward to a great book. However,I found it a bit confusing. It was an okay story but could have been so much better. It seemed disconnected and jumped from character to another. The ending left some hope for the family and a sequel might answer some unanswered questions.
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (03/27/10)

Confusing
This book could have been so much better. It was an okay story but I never felt connected to any of the characters. There were so many unanswered questions. I wanted more and it just didn't happen. That said, I would read another book by this author.

Stalin's Daughter
    The Romanovs
    by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All