Read what people think about The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw, and write your own review.

The Swimming Pool

by Holly LeCraw

The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw X
The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw

• Published in USA  Apr 2010

There are currently 35 reader reviews for The Swimming Pool

Mary Q. (Greeley, CO)

Debut Novel a Nice Surprise
This beautifully written and well constructed novel pulled me right in. The characters had their own distinctive voices and I felt empathy for each one. Reading it at times took a little patience and concentration because the events of the story and the characters' personalities were very slowly revealed in a flip-flopping way between then and now. That took a little getting used to, but I eventually liked that aspect and felt it added depth to the book as a whole. The best thing about this book, though, is the author's sensual and poetic writing style, and I really will look forward to her next effort. Highly recommended!
Sharon S. (Stanley, N.C.)

"The Swimming Pool" by Holly Lecraw
Holly Lecraw's first novel "The Swimming Pool" is a story of two families who's lives will become intertwined for years to come due to an affair. Unbeknown to these families this affair will result in not only love but secrets,lies, murder and lives changed forever. Hold on for a ride of twists and turns that will keep you captivated to the end !!!
Lecraw wrote a novel that will surely become a favorite of book clubs everywhere !!
Nikki R. (Irvine, CA)

Seduced by the Swimming Pool
I really enjoyed the book and was quite frankly amazed at how the author was recounting the character's thoughts as she wove an ingenious and startling twist into the plot. This book hits you on many levels and would probably be best as a lady read. It has more depth than many books directed at ladies and yet is a quick and entertaining experience.
Marcia S. (Hendersonville, NC)

Debut novel will create following for this author
The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw reveals a new author with a great talent for weaving a tale with a beautiful lyrical narrative. Secrets families keep can both protect and deepen wounds. The novel will generate much discussion with book groups about timing of confessions and the domino effect of truths withheld. LeCraw's writing grabs the reader with its intensity and passion and makes this book hard to put down. She will be on my list for future reads.
Adelia S. (Livingston, MT)

The Swimming Pool
I really liked the book. After the first chapter it was hard to put it down. The relationship between Jed and Marcella took some getting used to. I would like to read from this author again.
Lucy B. (Urbana, Ohio)

Cape Cod family and friends
The story bounces back and forth from present day events to the beginning of the story at an around-the-pool cookout on Cape Cod a few years earlier. Two families' lives, the McClatcheys and the Atkinsons, are entwined throughout. The book was gripping, suspenseful, and well-written. I couldn't lay "The Swimming Pool" down once I started reading. I'm looking forward to more books by Holly Lecraw
Anita P. (Honeoye Falls, NY)

This "Swimming Pool" is worth diving into
When I first started this book, I thought it was going to be ho-hum. The plot line just didn't seem very original. But I must confess that as the book progressed, it grabbed me with it's absolutely beautiful and evocative writing style. LeCraw's descriptive writing makes you feel every nuanced feeling that her characters are experiencing - - and her style is very fresh. I was just astounded with how she found new ways to describe things that have been described a million times over, in ways I had not read before. Her characters are very well drawn with interesting imperfections. If this book fell down anywhere, it was in the plot - - which didn't hold up to the beautiful language in terms of its originality. But by the end, I really didn't care because LeCrew's words drew me into the world she created, and I wanted to stay there.
Jane D. (Boulder, CO)

The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw
Beautiful, lyrical writing. Voice changes kept me turning pages, trying to fit the pieces together. I was totally caught up in this book until the last page.

• Book Jacket: The Word Is Murder

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E