What do readers think of Metropolis by B. A. Shapiro? Write your own review.

by B. A. Shapiro

Metropolis by B. A. Shapiro X
Metropolis by B. A. Shapiro

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Metropolis

Kis

Metropolis is unique
This book is an amazing novel. The story tells us about very different individuals who live and work in an old warehouse. The book is filled with suspense, from the being to the end. The plot is very original and is 100% a great read. Would recommend worth a read
Sherry

an unputdownable read
A diverse group of characters, some living in a storage unit- an "accident", a surprise (yet not surprising) twist all made for an unputdownable story.
Alison F. (Clearwater, FL)

Snapshots of Life Struggles
B.A. Shapiro has crafted a clever story of lives that have converged because of a storage facility in Cambridge, MA. We have good lawyers and bad, an artist, immigration and domestic violence trauma, people trying to make the best of their lives and protect their family and a sinister plot to harm everyone in its path. Had a bit in common with the Paris Apartment which I read at the same time and was equally compelling. I recommend this one.
Martha S. (Mentor, OH)

Metropolis
Metropolis is a funky storage warehouse in Boston. Doesn't sound interesting? Well, I loved this book and I read a lot. The story line drew me in as did the characters. Some were major characters, some not. And quite the characters they were, mostly quirky; some seemed "normal". (But in the end "gotcha"). I loved the way the author developed her characters and told their stories. Detail development will draw you in, too.
This book is the best of the year so far for me. I highly recommend the book, including for book clubs. It will be a great topic for discussion.
Sandra L. (Great Neck, NY)

A Must Read
I seldom fall in love with a book that is almost totally character driven, but "Metropololis" is the exception. Six main characters, six problematic lives, all becoming intertwined in a Boston storage unit makes for fascinating reading. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Michell B. (New Orleans, LA)

Why am I just finding B A Shapiro?
I'm so grateful to have been introduced to Shapiro through Bookbrowse. I love a story that weaves in backstories and intertwines people who seemingly would not find their paths crossing but find their lives intersecting based on an event and circumstance. Shapiro certainly doesn't disappoint in doing just that.
Does this book have mystery and suspense? Yep! Does it have human experience and diversity? Also yes!
I will definitely be reading other books by this author.
Mary M. (Swansea, MA)

Metropolis
Metropolis is a winner! As a past resident of Boston for many years, I had fun revisiting all the familiar places and locales described throughout the book. More importantly, I fully enjoyed the vast array of characters presented and their ability to form meaningful bonds with one another within an otherwise random and impersonal environment. It is a unique story that is well told. My interest in the characters and what happens to them was sparked from the start. There are also a couple of interesting twists that make the mystery that more satisfying.
Shirley P. (Colorado Springs, CO)

The Castle
B.A, Shapiro writes a good book, and this is no exception. The Castle refers to a storage warehouse named Metropolis, nicknamed as such by the architecture of the structure with turrets etc embellishing the building. The book begins with a fire and then turns backwards to tell the story of disparate, and desperate, characters who inhabit the building.
The owner, Zach, his manager, Rose, and several inhabitants who use Metropolis for more than storage, including an attorney, a heartbroken mother and abused wife, a young woman fleeing the immigration authorities, and Serge, a photographer who suffers from extreme psychological problems. The author interweaves their stories skillfully into a whole.
I was particularly impressed with the research the author provided regarding the truly horrific immigration process facing those who try to become citizens of our country.
I recommend this book for it's skillful story telling and interesting characters.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Facemaker
    The Facemaker
    by Lindsey Fitzharris
    The summer of 1914 saw the beginning of World War I, the bloody conflict known as the 'war to end ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Read Now
    How to Read Now
    by Elaine Castillo
    Toni Morrison once wrote, 'My project rises from delight, not disappointment.' This remark appeared ...
  • Book Jacket: Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow
    Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    It's been more than 20 years since Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay won ...
  • Book Jacket: Cult Classic
    Cult Classic
    by Sloane Crosley
    At a trendy Chinese restaurant in downtown Manhattan, Lola, the protagonist of Sloane Crosley's ...

Members Recommend

Some of It Was Real
    by Nan Fischer

A psychic on the verge of stardom and a cynical journalist are brought together by secrets that threaten to tear them apart.

Dirt Creek
    by Hayley Scrivenor

"A heart-wrenching mystery, Scrivenor's remarkable sense of place brings Dirt Creek to life. A stellar debut."
    —Jane Harper,

The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book

N I, ands, O B