Reader reviews and comments on Salt, plus links to write your own review.

Salt

Feb 2003, 496 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Salt

L. Steiner-Dotson (01/07/10)

a salty thought
Kurlansky's SALT, has kept my attention, and as a foodie I have a new admiration for the stuff and what someone had to go thru to mine this substance--history and today. I've just started being interested in colors of salt and now am spurred on to find the unusual...more than just grey salt. Thank you Kurlansky for giving us something to learn and not just car chases. A good read and an excellent economics lesson.
Kelsey (09/23/09)

salt
This book is boring, I had to read it for AP History an its the most tiring book to read. I fall asleep when reading. I don't recomend this book to anyone under the age of 50, or if you DON'T have to read it then don't an that's my honest opinion. Thank you.
alexis (09/06/07)

Salt
I totally wasted $16 buying this book. I don't understand how a human being can enjoy such a dull novel. I enjoy history very much, but I'm sad to say it made my perspective of history less enjoyable.
RedReader (08/13/07)

Not Great Forced Reading...
This is a very good book although it become a little pedantic and repetitious at times. Clearly the author enjoys writing about the marriage of food with history and, it's true, many of the anecdotes and facts are interesting. However, the average reader may feel that a little Salt goes a long way. It's like watching your cousin's wedding video...lovely as it may be, you get bored long before the tape finishes.

My advice: read a few chapters, take a few weeks off and pick it up again. It is infinitely more interesting to read the book in this manner and you don't feel like your head will explode if you have to hear the tale of yet another evaporative salt marsh pond.
Taylor (08/06/07)

if you want to read 449 pgs. of absolute useless and irrevolent history of salt this book is for you!
well, I'm a freshman and i was required to read and do multiple projects with this book; as a person who is pretty much addicted to salt and puts it on everything , I thought it would be interesting. HOWEVER..... I even had my PhD sister read this book and we both fell asleep out of boredom , it was a daily chore. I would sooner kill myself than reread this book, the only pro was there is a index in the back for me to only have to review as much as required...BEWARE!!! IT SUCKS!
Ralmon Jon Black (07/13/07)

Salt: A World History
Hard to believe so much history could be found in one four-letter word. Those I've shared this book with have rave reviews about it. It puts into a new perspective the struggles of the human race to rise from the stages of hunter-gatherers to industrialists. Kurlansky has given my passions for food and culinary arts a paradigm shift and wrought changes in my recipes. I have a wonderfully fresh slant on prosciutto and parmesan. There's a seller on our table filled with Ukrainian rocksalt and garum has become a household word. It may be ancient politics, but more enthralling for me than today's news.
mike (02/23/07)

like a grain of sand
You can learn a great deal about human history in this book. Unfortunately, being assigned reading often makes nonfiction books disliked. Read this book if you like a well written story about a substance needed for us to live, that has been taxed, fought over and now tossed on streets. You will never look at a saltshaker the same again.
sasha (08/09/06)

If you are enduring any sleep problems or can't fall sleep, I strongly recommend this book for you. A couple of sentences, and BAM, you're dreaming. I have been looking for a way to fall asleep quicker, and this book truely works.

• Book Jacket: Gateway to the Moon
    Gateway to the Moon
    by Mary Morris
    Miguel Torres is a teenager living in Entrada de la Luna, a poverty-stricken dot on the New Mexico ...
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    The Ensemble
    by Aja Gabel

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Sometimes I Lie