Reader reviews and comments on Austerlitz, plus links to write your own review.

Austerlitz

by W.G. Sebald

Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald X
Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald

Oct 2001, 300 pages
    Sep 2002, 304 pages

There is 1 reader review for Austerlitz

Alan Bradley

Sebald's eccentric architecture lifts one outside of a time-bounded universe and reveals our lives, and history in general, as a mere series of points on the space-time grid that offer no revelations as to the mystery of life and reveal no pattern, no meaning. For what meaning can the Holocaust have? On a less philosophical note, Austerlitz, and Sebald's writing generally, is an evocation, if not an elegy, for the European civilization that self-immolated in WW2, burning to ash three thousand years of history in the Nazi powered crucible of war.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C