Reader reviews and comments on Choke, plus links to write your own review.

Choke

May 2001, 304 pages
    Jun 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Choke

Power Reviewer Melissa (04/18/07)

Down and Dirty
Only 2 of the participating 4 members of our book club would read this one. They were turned off by the vulgarity of the first part of the book. While I must say I was initially uncomfortable with it, I understand the necessity in the language in describing and making believable an addict's world. I had an even greater understanding for the approach that Palahniuk took when I read the story behind the story on the Choke website!! While the story dealt with the down and dirty, it really ended with hope!
Mattie (08/12/05)

Fantastic
the thing i like about chuck palahniuk's writing is his dark and perverse humor. i loved fight club and invisible monsters. choke did not let me down. it's something you have to read and have an open mind about. it's intriguing and addictive.
jaydilla (03/01/05)

Mr. Palahnuik's novels often examine the pychosis that accompanies everyday people living ordinary lives. Fight Club examined the psychosis of violence in young men who find, not satisfaction, but rather, alienation and rage in conforming to the demands of the modern world. In Choke the psychosis of both altruism and sex is deftly synthesized to make an enjoyable, darkly funny, and disturbing view of adults in America today. Palahnuik is the master of post-modernist writing this era. I must admit that though I enjoyed Invisible Monsters and Fight Club more this is definitely a must read for people who enjoy breaking free from, and satirizing, what it means to be "normal".
morphion (10/03/04)

Having never read any other works of Palahniuk, I was not what you might call prepared for Choke. Being 15 years of age, I was beginning to grow accustomed to novels that brought up strange, disturbing concepts and images, but in relation to Choke, no book compared. Initially I was not sure how I felt, but as the story went on my opinion became more solid and I can now safely say that Choke is by far the most horrifying but brilliant book I have ever read.
The views and ideas that arise in Choke are some of the bravest to be risen in modern literature; Chuck Palahniuk has adopted an ingenious style of writing in which one simply cannot trust what they read. Like many brilliant writers, he doesn't just tell you a nice story, but forces you to think. Your perception of this book will hugely and apparently reflect your perception of the world, and not since The World According To Garp has any novel made me question myself like this.
Even with a book so thick with graphic sex and disgustingly open looks at just about everything, you have to admire what it is Palahniuk is trying to do. Love or hate Choke, it is a book that you will never forget.
big bill (04/26/04)

wow--this is one ridiculous book. a sensationalist piece of junk that should make any fan of so-called "modern literature" shake his head with frustration. contrived, silly, unimpostrant, and most decidedly not a satire. well, maybe at best it is a cariacature of the author. maybe i should finish the thing before i spout off. if you want to read something "swiftian," go read swift.
Sy'rah (08/01/03)

Palahniuk's novel Choke is both thouroughly encahnting and repulsive. His quick and blunt prose is just enough to make some people sqeamish, but if you stay along for the ride, you won't be disappointed. The plot twists that ensue inevitably make your mouth hang open. The novel is also intriguing to many different people, like those who do not read very much literature, because of its strong focal point of sex. However, many other feelings and ideas and nihilistic theories are conveyed and one cannot help admiring how Palahniuk weaves them all together. Choke is a must read for all fans of modern literature and all those who want to start reading quality fiction.
Thereader (03/26/03)

I enjoyed this book... Plane and simple if you can stomach this book you will find yourself not being able to put it down. If you dont blush every time someone mentions sex you should be just fine..
Amy (02/26/03)

Chuck has his own style and wit that accompany his thoughts and ideas of many of his books. If only people could come to terms with who they are and what could be changed for the better instead of hiding everything in their own back pocket, maybe then we could really come to understand human nature and accept it for what it is. The story behind this book is incredible. Palahniuk writes beautifully.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Second hand books are wild books...

The Big Holiday Wordplay: