Reader reviews and comments on How To Be Good, plus links to write your own review.

How To Be Good

by Nick Hornby

How To Be Good

Jul 2001, 320 pages
    Apr 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for How To Be Good

tim (10/04/05)

Not a good read
It's always helpful to know the author's intentions behind writing a book, but in this case it just doesn't matter. It's just an all-around unpleasant reading experience. The story is not very interesting. The humor is weak. There is just not a whole lot to enjoy about this book.
It is basically just miserable people having dull and miserable conversation for 300 pages. Who wants to read that?
And shouldn't a story have an arc? This story is a flat line from start to confusing end. Really, it's just not good.
hexehillary (05/17/04)

I found "how to be good" very entertaining. At the end I was uncertain what Hornby was trying to say: that there is no God? that Katie suddenly appreciates what she has but then loses it? it seems to me very ambiguous. What actuallly happens there do you think?
cheese borger (04/25/04)

I have read this book twice in 3 months and absolutely love it. I am a 43 year old male "with a flat battery" and this book really hit home. Thought provoking and also very funny.
kate jones (01/22/04)

I thought it was wonderful, thought provoking, funny, a great read.
nick (12/09/03)

this Book is absolutley JUNK !! it's not worth the paper !
kennylee (09/21/03)

An interesting book that examines the tension between freedom and equality in a democratic society. The plot and theme are great from begining to end; however to speak to the masses, the book is written at about a 10th grade reading level. This is a real "thinker." though.

Doyle- the ending left you "unsatisfied" for a good reason. There is no real resolution to the problem of freedom vs. equality. I think Hornsby felt a little bad about "About A Boy" when he gave a resolution to this problem, and wrote the ending of "How To Be Good" to compensate for it.

-a college student
Anonymous (02/10/03)

Great book, great characters, great concept, great auther!
Kari Kracht (11/20/02)

Great book, I loved it very much. Gave me strength to make it through the day!

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age

Falling
    by Jane Green

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All