MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on P Is For Peril, plus links to write your own review.

P Is For Peril

by Sue Grafton

P Is For Peril

Jun 2001, 304 pages
    Jun 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for P Is For Peril

DoctorJ (05/01/11)

Anica and Crystal
A previous reader is correct: When Kinsey first meets Anica, she's fresh from a shower, and Crystal is just then showering. Add that Anica works at an all-girls school (admittedly equivocal), and Crystal is insistent on Leila spending the night at her step-father's, perhaps to give A&C a weekend alone.

The clincher, such as it is, comes at the end of the book. {Spoiler removed}

As I read in a review somewhere, there are no likable characters in this book, possibly excepting the doctor, and then only if he was not involved in the fraud at all.
Shauna (10/12/10)

Dissatisfying
I measure a good mystery by a good ending and this one had NONE! Grafton is a great writer, but not always on her game as far as a storyteller. This book left me nothing but aggravated. My favorite is still F is for Fugitive.
J K (01/26/09)

Great til the end
I enjoyed the book very much until I reached the (end)? I just drops like someone in mid sentence, no closure, as if missing the last chapter - very very upsetting - couldn't believe it - that was just mean.
jan4jc (08/09/08)

Not all that satisfying
Even though I figured out "whodunit", I still like the author to confirm it, and that didn't happen in this one.

For those who aren't sure, reread Kinsey's first interview with Anica and Crystal, then reread the last few pages. Pay attention to all the little nuances. (Remember the type of school Anica works at and the fact that there wasn't an affair with Clint Augustine after all.)

Not my favorite, but not my least favorite either.
Yanique (12/18/05)

whose is the murderer?
It is the best Kinsey Millhone series yet...but... what happened to the end?

Wierd...but it was a good book!!
Ron W (09/11/04)

I agree with the concerns of all the other confused readers of "P". Who did it? Where was the epilogue? Why was it not included ? Has this concern been answered by the author or publisher??
joesteph (05/13/04)

So, who dun it? I went back and read the last few pages. Was something left out? No closure

Was it the daughter?
tanya (12/16/03)

I agree with the other readers. I thought the epilogue had been left out of my book. Too many loose ends, the ending left me wondering who did what! I don't feel this was Ms. Grafton's best work. It is the only book in the series where she does not wrapped up the story.

• Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun