MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on P Is For Peril, plus links to write your own review.

P Is For Peril

by Sue Grafton

P Is For Peril

Jun 2001, 304 pages
    Jun 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for P Is For Peril

DoctorJ (05/01/11)

Anica and Crystal
A previous reader is correct: When Kinsey first meets Anica, she's fresh from a shower, and Crystal is just then showering. Add that Anica works at an all-girls school (admittedly equivocal), and Crystal is insistent on Leila spending the night at her step-father's, perhaps to give A&C a weekend alone.

The clincher, such as it is, comes at the end of the book. {Spoiler removed}

As I read in a review somewhere, there are no likable characters in this book, possibly excepting the doctor, and then only if he was not involved in the fraud at all.
Shauna (10/12/10)

Dissatisfying
I measure a good mystery by a good ending and this one had NONE! Grafton is a great writer, but not always on her game as far as a storyteller. This book left me nothing but aggravated. My favorite is still F is for Fugitive.
J K (01/26/09)

Great til the end
I enjoyed the book very much until I reached the (end)? I just drops like someone in mid sentence, no closure, as if missing the last chapter - very very upsetting - couldn't believe it - that was just mean.
jan4jc (08/09/08)

Not all that satisfying
Even though I figured out "whodunit", I still like the author to confirm it, and that didn't happen in this one.

For those who aren't sure, reread Kinsey's first interview with Anica and Crystal, then reread the last few pages. Pay attention to all the little nuances. (Remember the type of school Anica works at and the fact that there wasn't an affair with Clint Augustine after all.)

Not my favorite, but not my least favorite either.
Yanique (12/18/05)

whose is the murderer?
It is the best Kinsey Millhone series yet...but... what happened to the end?

Wierd...but it was a good book!!
Ron W (09/11/04)

I agree with the concerns of all the other confused readers of "P". Who did it? Where was the epilogue? Why was it not included ? Has this concern been answered by the author or publisher??
joesteph (05/13/04)

So, who dun it? I went back and read the last few pages. Was something left out? No closure

Was it the daughter?
tanya (12/16/03)

I agree with the other readers. I thought the epilogue had been left out of my book. Too many loose ends, the ending left me wondering who did what! I don't feel this was Ms. Grafton's best work. It is the only book in the series where she does not wrapped up the story.

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?