Reader reviews and comments on Blackbird, plus links to write your own review.

Blackbird

Sep 2001, 432 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Blackbird

Jeanette (02/25/08)

Disappointing
At first I found the book interesting but then it became somewhat boring. It seems that she was always attacking others which I found to be rather one sided. She writes it to portray a child's view but it is definitely an adults view of past events. I don't recommend it.
Mozart (12/08/07)

Surprise
I was surprised by the book. It had been recommended to me by a friend. The writing style is completely unappealing and horrible slow. The child like writing is annoying, eg. 'This review is black text and short words.' and only gets in the way of the story. About the first 100 pages are repetitive and boring. The author tries to colour trivial things, leaving the reader hampered and unable to visualize the important parts. The author's "voice" is also whiney, and is always trying to impress the reader about how horrible her life has been, as she is trying to impress some friends with an amazing story.
Mandy (11/15/04)

This is the best book Ive ever read this year and will ever be! It's very moving and there should be no other rating apart from 5!
Emma (11/15/04)

best book i've read in a long time. i knew nothing about the book before i read it and haven't ever had such a pleasant surprise before a definite one to take on your holidays!
Amy (11/08/04)

I read 3 chapters and put it down. I got no feeling for the characters and never wanted to read on. This was a huge disappointment as i was expecting much more.
Michele (08/26/04)

This is truly a heartfelt book. It takes alot for me to become emotionally invested in a character, yet with this novel the investment is immediate and undeniable. A sometimes haunting, and ultimately uplifiting novel that brings to the forefront a topic that is all too often ignored, parental illness. The way the author leaves a cloud of mystery lingering over the mother's illness and the way she describes in very real terms the daughter's confusion and innocence, makes this a truly great and realistic novel. A unique perspective that enhances the emotional appeal of this book.
Amber (07/23/04)

What can I say...the books she writes have touched my life in more ways than I could ever explain.
cyndy (05/16/04)

best telling story ever!!!!!!!111111111111

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig