Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022

What readers think of A Storm of Swords, plus links to write your own review.

A Storm of Swords

Oct 2000, 800 pages

May 2002, 992 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for A Storm of Swords

JoeRichard

A Storm of Swords is an example of a fantasy novel that gives the fantasy genre a good name (much like The Lord of the Rings). George R R Martin's writing style is gritty, dark, and realistic; the reader is challenged to say the least. The main charactor body count is at a career high in this volume, and bad charactors unexpectedly show likeable qualities. The dialogue and prose are outstanding, and different plots continue to develope and evolve in interesting and unpredictable ways. Bring on A Feast for Crows!
Daniel

It takes a lot of guts for a writer to develop great characters over hundreds of pages and then <<edited for potential plot spoiler content>>. Way to go Martin! Lucky for his readers, Martin actually understands that things don't always work out well for the "good" guys, and that "bad" guys have a tendency to behave in consistent manners over time. Martin stays true to his characters and the theme he introduced with his first novel. True, sometimes a reader's desire to see a nefarious act avenged has to wait until a later novel, but for the most part it always comes--and in wonderfully detailed ways. I like this series, especially because Martin isn't afraid to use the word <<edited>>.
handwaver

A truly "epic" fantasy - but all the detail and complexity is worth it! The world Martin has created is fantastic, yet down to earth - an oxymoron that works. I loved the fact that everything doesn't resolve into some ribbon-wrapped package, where our "heroes" (or heroines) emerge unscathed from every perilous situation. People you really come to care about die in these books. Horrible things happen to good people. It seems to mirror real life in a way that, for example, Tolkien's world never did. (I mean, c'mon, against all the evil forces of Sauron, only Boromir dies?)
I can't wait for the 4th book!!
KEVIN

Absolutely astonishing work of literature. If you read it the seconed time around you will notice all the foreshadowing before the Red Wedding...but the first time it was one hell of a shock! All those who read it will understand what I'm talking about.
Jason

enjoyed it. they should make a movie out of it. i liked the way he used sword fighting romantasizm in the book.
John Schugmann

Awesome. Martin makes you understand the characters who you might loathe in one book and root for in the next. Complex? Sure. Challenging? Absolutly. Worth it? Beyond any shadow of a doubt!!!
Mustang Weena

I love these books.
loretta pennell

This story is fulled with thrills and excitment from begining to end each page,will set your heart beating and you will find your breath coming in short,pants as you hold your breath waiting to see what's going to happen next,as you find yourself praying for the heroes and the not so bad villans,you can truely believe you are there with them fighting their fight.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

Bewilderment
    by Richard Powers
    In 2019, Richard Powers won the Pulitzer Prize for The Overstory, a sprawling novel whose characters...
  • Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You
    by Isaac Blum

Members Recommend

The Family Izquierdo
    by Rubén Degollado

A masterful debut that weaves together the lives of three generations of a Mexican American family bound by love, and a curse.

W N, W Not

The Ways We Hide
by Kristina McMorris

Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting