MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Drowning Ruth, plus links to write your own review.

Drowning Ruth

Jul 2001, 368 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Drowning Ruth

Andrea

drowing ruth was amazingg
I couldn't put down this book. You just want to keep reading it because you want to know what happened to Amandas sister on the night. Overall it was a very good book and I enjoyed reading it :)
Phyllis

Drowning Ruth
This book kept my interest until the very end - I wanted to know exactly what happened at the lake that night. With each chapter the layers were peeled back and you'd get a little more information each time - and that was about all the plots and subplots in the book. The characters were intriguing - and very human. I was a little disappointed with the end because I like more detail and "happy" endings, but the book was well-written and very interesting. I look forward to reading more books by Ms. Schwarz.
Rhea Mitts

I really like this book. Lately my mother has been pawning these "opera book club" books on me to read. I am glad that she has. This book was read by me in less then 4 days. I generally do not even like to read novels. This is no longer true. This book was great becasue I couldn't put it down. The plot was good and I liked how the author skipped times and places in the book without making it hard to enterpret what exactly was going on. It made perfect sence. Thanks to the author for writing this book, as well as keeping my attention for 4 days! Thanks again
Rhea Mitts
Sarah

I was haunted by this book. Most likely because I myself am a possessive, loving aunt to two young girls and can relate to some extent to Amanda's desperate love for her sister's child. I enjoyed the sharp, crisp language and how it gave the book so much intensity. I have read it over and over.
Cleo

I thought that drowning Ruth was an amazing book, it was so human. I loved the way that it traded between the past and the present. once I started reading the book, i couldn't put it doun. though sometimes it was confusing, the amazing plot made up for it. But what really makes the book human is the ending, and how it's NOT perfict, like any true story. Christina, you're a great author, keep on writing.
mash

its one of the best books I have read!! it keeps you wondering until the very last chapter. Genius|!
Clare

I loved this book, it held my attention until the very last page, and I was desperate to find out what had really happened. I liked the way the story moved back and forth across time and characters. Would definitely recommend it.
danielle

this was a ok book. i liked this boopk alot except for the going back in the past and skipping 10 years or so.......................

• Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...
  • Book Jacket: Beheld
    Beheld
    by TaraShea Nesbit
    Much like her debut novel The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit's Beheld imagines a familiar ...

The Yellow Bird Sings
    by Jennifer Rosner

A breathtaking debut inspired by the true stories of Jewish children hidden during WWII.

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win The Firsts