Summer Sale! Save 20% today and get access to all our member benefits.

What readers think of Long After We Are Gone, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Discuss |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Long After We Are Gone

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Long After We Are Gone

Betty Taylor

Emotional Sibling Drama
"Long After We Are Gone" by Terah Shelton Harris is a compelling and evocative exploration of family, secrets, and redemption. The novel centers around the Solomon siblings, who return to their North Carolina home, known as “The Kingdom,” following their father’s unexpected death to save their ancestral land from being sold. Their father's last words, “Don't let the white man take The Kingdom,” set the stage for a powerful family drama.

The characters in this novel are incredibly relatable and endearing, each with their own set of flaws and vulnerabilities. I couldn't help but like them all, despite their imperfections and the questionable choices they sometimes made. Junior, the eldest, is secretly in love with another man despite being married. Mance, the second son, struggles with his temper and legal troubles. CeCe, the eldest daughter, faces the consequences of embezzling money from her firm’s clients. Tokey, the youngest, grapples with her sense of belonging and harmful coping mechanisms. Each sibling's struggle is depicted with sensitivity and depth, making their journeys both heart-wrenching and inspiring. Ellis, who was treated like one of the siblings, was a voice of reason and an anchor for the siblings.
Carmel B

A House Is Not A Home
Secrets, lies, shame and guilt prevent three generations from enjoying their family home and each other, until four gritty siblings join forces to change their future. While we watch each one of them reach inside themselves and come to their collective “David and Goliath” moment, the buried tragedies of the deep south are once again brought into the light of day. Harris brilliantly weaves in a lesson about The Torrens Act (aka The Real Property Act of 1900), its original purpose of “helping to clear titles for black landowners” and its ultimate “scheme by the rich to seize the land of the poor.” Suspenseful and startling with a fair measure of romance. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Carmel B

A House Is Not A Home
Sonia Francis

Drama in King Solomon kingdom
Family saga- this one is for you.

Long After We Are Gone is a ridiculously explosive account of the Solomon family and the secrets each carry. Coming together after their father’s death to save their ancestral home is no easy task. Each of the four Solomon siblings are broken, there is a comma between them all , they are all trying to be patched back together any way they can. As they come together to fight for the kingdom each of their facades begin to crumble and collide in spectacular unexpected ways.

Terah Harris brilliantly tells a story in alternating view points from each sibling revealing a power keg about family and the secrets kept, the things that one refuses to let go. Secrets from addictions , embezzlement, homosexuality while being in a lengthy marriage and criminal acts and violence.

This is a heartfelt story about the power of family and letting go of the toxicity that no longer serves you and legacies we pass on to children.

This novel is ripe for bookclubs discussion. I unequivocally loved it and I highly recommend it. I have already wishlisted Terah Shelton Harris other novel One Summer In Savannah .
Jill

Great Read
LONG AFTER WE ARE GONE

Narration by Diontae Black was very well done.

I enjoyed her previous book, One Summer in Savannah, and I enjoyed this one, as well. I am a huge fan of Terah Shelton Harris’ writing style and her artfully done story telling. A generational family drama set in North Carolina, where patriarch King’s last words are, “Don’t let the white man take the house.” Thus, binding his children to the preservation of his legacy, and his dreams.

A family so at odds but also so filled with love. Four siblings that are each battling personal problems, must come together to try and save the Kingdom from a development company.

Touching on buried secrets, forgiveness, love, homophobia, heir property (which I had never heard about), addiction, and violence.

I look forward to more from this accomplished author.
Robin

Intriguing
A much needed exploration into heir property , something many of us know nothing about but should be more informed. For me this claimed to be an introduction into an area I will further investigate on my own.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Mood Swings
    Mood Swings
    by Frankie Barnet
    This book begins with a bombastic premise. Seemingly fed up with the heating planet, the world's ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    by Briony Cameron
    Our titular heroine's story begins in Yáquimo, Santo Domingo. Jacquotte Delahaye is a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Another Word for Love
    Another Word for Love
    by Carvell Wallace
    "I write about beautiful things because I live in a country that has tried to kill me and every...
    The Flower Sisters
    by Michelle Collins Anderson
    Michelle Collins Anderson's novel The Flower Sisters, based in part on a real tragedy that occurred ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.
Win This Book
Win The Bluestockings

The Bluestockings by Susannah Gibson

An illuminating group portrait of the eighteenth-century women who dared to imagine an active life for themselves in both mind and spirit.

A W in S C