Reader reviews and comments on Plainsong, plus links to write your own review.

Plainsong

by Kent Haruf

Plainsong by Kent Haruf

Oct 1999, 301 pages
    Aug 2000, 320 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Plainsong

Michelle Doucette (11/06/02)

The characters seemed so real.
Mary White (10/28/02)

A wonderful book. Haruf's perceptions of human nature, and the atmosphere he creates makes this one of the best books I've read this year.
Vivienne Seaman (08/21/02)

I saw the silver seal of the National Book Award Finalist, on the cover and thought it would be really good. It certainly is not a page turner. While the character are well defined, you can personally see them and feel that you have met them. The book seems slow, dragging its feet to the conclusions of each character. When you read a book such as this you wonder what was the purpose of Mr Haruf in writing a book about small town gossip. It just seemed so ordinary, ordinary lives, ordinary stories. Not a great plot here. I did like the McPheron brothers with their "way down to earth" lodgic
Maddie Cramer (07/23/02)

I studied this book in english and thought it was quite boring, nothing much really happened. Although i don't suppose my opinion is important seeing as I am just a 15 Australian schoolgirl who wouldn't get the message anyway... it was a struggle to get through without going to sleep.
Joe (07/23/02)

It stinks
Karen Foster (06/04/02)

I keep recommending this book over and over again. I have given it to my friends, my daughters, my students, and even to my husband. Everyone says the same thing: "What a great book." Yet everyone who reads it comes away with something different. It has been a long time since I have read a book that has made me laugh and cry like this novel did.
Rosemary Broadbent (03/21/02)

When I have recommended this book to friends, I found myself over and over calling it "such a sweet book." That does not do it justice. It is about connections, made and broken and remade in the most unexpected ways. Haruf loves his characters and we do too, in the end. I read it on the train, and I would read a chapter, close the book and loook out the window and cry a little, and then read another chapter. These people have not had easy lives, but they are still willing to "give it one more shot," and let someone love them one more time.
todd (03/05/02)

I felt this novel had a timeless universal quality about it. As if Haruf didn't write it but plucked it out of a previous existence. The story and the charactors were always there and he just need to put them on paper.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.

Y S M B, I'll S Y