MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Plainsong, plus links to write your own review.

Plainsong

by Kent Haruf

Plainsong

Oct 1999, 301 pages
    Aug 2000, 320 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Plainsong

Bianca (04/08/04)

This was a great book to read!
Jeane (03/10/04)

I was totally captivated by this book from the first page. Its simplicity and beauty lies in its tale about ordinary people doing ordinary things that have an impact on lives. Everyone I have lent the book to has also been delighted with it.
Ashley (02/18/04)

I had to read this book for a college literature class. I must say that this book completely captured my attention from the first page until the very last. Haruf does a wonderful job of bringing each of his characters to life. I suggest you begin reading this book only when you have the time to finish it in one setting...I couldn't bear to put it down!
Pete (01/06/04)

I disliked Plainsong. We had to read it in an honors english class. We read it because it was a story about "everday heroes." Who were the heroes in the book? What is morally right about the book? It's sad that people in this country like this book, it tells you how low and selfish our culture is.
Jim Jones (10/07/03)

I like the varity of this book in general, Its like a day time soap opera.
Luke Skywalker (04/07/03)

I thought the book was good for the most part, but the celebratory ending could have been better in my opinion
Luke Grove (02/09/03)

Very Good! It were as if I were by the fireside listening to Kent Haruf tell the story himself. Good characters, focused writing, and a variation that kept one going from page to page.
Victoria (12/22/02)

This is about the only book where I have actually felt the characters pain, happiness, and triumph. I actually cried from this book and from there on I knew that I had read a good book.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T