Reader reviews and comments on Plainsong, plus links to write your own review.

Plainsong

by Kent Haruf

Plainsong by Kent Haruf

Oct 1999, 301 pages
    Aug 2000, 320 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Plainsong

Bianca (04/08/04)

This was a great book to read!
Jeane (03/10/04)

I was totally captivated by this book from the first page. Its simplicity and beauty lies in its tale about ordinary people doing ordinary things that have an impact on lives. Everyone I have lent the book to has also been delighted with it.
Ashley (02/18/04)

I had to read this book for a college literature class. I must say that this book completely captured my attention from the first page until the very last. Haruf does a wonderful job of bringing each of his characters to life. I suggest you begin reading this book only when you have the time to finish it in one setting...I couldn't bear to put it down!
Pete (01/06/04)

I disliked Plainsong. We had to read it in an honors english class. We read it because it was a story about "everday heroes." Who were the heroes in the book? What is morally right about the book? It's sad that people in this country like this book, it tells you how low and selfish our culture is.
Jim Jones (10/07/03)

I like the varity of this book in general, Its like a day time soap opera.
Luke Skywalker (04/07/03)

I thought the book was good for the most part, but the celebratory ending could have been better in my opinion
Luke Grove (02/09/03)

Very Good! It were as if I were by the fireside listening to Kent Haruf tell the story himself. Good characters, focused writing, and a variation that kept one going from page to page.
Victoria (12/22/02)

This is about the only book where I have actually felt the characters pain, happiness, and triumph. I actually cried from this book and from there on I knew that I had read a good book.

• Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...
    by Paulette Jiles
    Paulette Jiles brings the landscape of late 19th century Texas to life in this novel long-listed for...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O