What readers think of White Oleander, plus links to write your own review.

White Oleander

by Janet Fitch

White Oleander by Janet Fitch X
White Oleander by Janet Fitch

May 1999, 390 pages
    May 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 62 reader reviews for White Oleander

Kathleen

I want this review to say so much in the least amount of words. This book touched me. I was unable to break away from it from beginning to end. Eloquent metaphores paint the most vivid pictures. An exquisite and poignant story that I will hold close to my heart always and more than likely read again. Admittedly, I had seen the film first and would have to say the casting was impeccable. The book however, was even more gripping. Thank you Ms. Fitch for the honour of letting me share in the beauty of your storytelling.
Krysta

I think this was an excellent read. It is intoxicating and hypnotic in its descriptions while telling such a tragic story. The charcters were all controlled by believable problems and each provided the reader with something to connect to and a lesson to be learned. This book allows you to realize the beauty surrounding you by painting the landscape with words. Stunning.
Adrian Brieler

This is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I've never read something so incredibly powerful as this. I was moved by the intense lyrical beauty of it and just about everything else about it. Janet Finch is a truly gifted author
Megan

I simply adore the book. Finch's writing is so gripping and unique that I can rarely put the book down. I cryed which is somthing I never do when reading a novel unless its as good as white Oleander. It changed my life, astrid's jorney though life seems close to home for me. Foster care is quiet horrid and her decription of it is so persise and delicate.
Saima

Honestly, it is the best book I've ever read. The amount of realism in this book is absolutely breathtaking. I show deep empathy for Astrid and it makes me enjoy the book even the more better. Her understanding of this bitter world makes me love her character. I can't see how anyone could possibly be disappointed with this book.
Tiffany

I loved the book. It was so awesome, the movie was great also but nothing beats the book. Thank you Janet for giving me such a wonderful book to read. I hope your next novel is as wonderful as the White Oleander.
Jasmine

White Oleander is an amazing novel. From the first paragraph to the last i was totally enthralled with this book. I couldn't put it down. When i wasnt reading i was thinking about it. Every charactor in the book was real, I saw myself in each one. I have not read a book like it and cannot wait to read the next by janet fitch.. Way to go on your first novel. If things can only get better, i can't wait.
Shazia

This incredible story about hope and determination, solitude and relationships, had me engrossed from beginning to end. The emotions that were evoked from me were directly related to the intense and beautifully scripted prose that Janet Fitch constructed. Truly an eye-opener.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...
  • Book Jacket: Swimming Back to Trout River
    Swimming Back to Trout River
    by Linda Rui Feng
    Linda Rui Feng's first novel, Swimming Back to Trout River, is a powerful meditation on the ties ...
  • Book Jacket: The Unfit Heiress
    The Unfit Heiress
    by Audrey Farley
    During the American eugenics movement (see Beyond the Book), involuntary sterilization was used to ...
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Everybody
    by Olivia Laing

"Impassioned and provocative...[an] intensely moving, vital and artful book."
    —The Guardian

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man...

H I T Best P