What readers think of Firekeeper's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Firekeeper's Daughter

Very nice book
A very nice book.
Alhana Shoaib

Firekeeper's Daughter
18-year-old American bi-racial Daunis Fontaine has an Ojibwe father who is deceased and a white mother. She believes that she doesn't belong with either the Sugar Island Ojibwe Tribe or her white peers because of her mixed ancestry. As an unenrolled tribal member, she cherishes her tribal background and adheres to its traditions. When Daunis sees a shooting, the agent, Jamie, is able to get her out of the area before the police show up and ask for her assistance in their investigation, which is far larger than she could have ever anticipated. I found Firekeeper's Daughter to be a genuine mixed bag. I liked reading about the Ojibwe way of life, including their practices, beliefs, and environment. Daunis came across as someone who wanted to be treated fairly and with respect, but she was quick to criticize other people and make assumptions about them without actually knowing them, so I found it difficult to like her. I put the book aside for a time and gave it another go a few weeks later because the plot started out slowly and I did question if I would be able to finish it. After the shooting, the pace goes up tenfold as the thriller/mystery portion of the book begins, and this is where my attention rested. Within the primary plot, there are so many intricately linked subplots. They were all beautifully related to one another and important to the plot. Being a witness to some of the drug trafficking, sexual assaults, drug use, and killings that happened, particularly to the indigenous women, was heartbreaking at times. Along with exposing you to these horrors, the book also provided you with information about the struggles faced by indigenous groups and the extent to which their cultural legacy has been and is still being destroyed. I see that a Netflix series based on the book is on the way. This could work because it's simple to picture what happens in each scene as you read. I just hope that, unlike some adaptations, they do the book justice.
Tony C.

Will Keep You Guessing
"Firekeeper's Daughter" by Angeline Boulley tells the story of meth processing in the Native American community. They have a strong sense of values and history and tell their children to think seven generations ahead when making decisions.

They list the novel as "young adult," but it pushes the limits of the genre. The nineteen-year-old protagonist has intercourse and a few pothead friends. Unfortunately, she also survives a vicious sexual assault so list your trigger warnings accordingly.

Because drugs lead to murder, one questions the usual assertion that the bad guys qualify as non-violent criminals. Daunis, our hero, goes undercover when the deaths hit too close to home.
When we question the identity of the criminals, the number of characters seems just right. We know the shady ones from the wise ones. Like any thriller, you question what the young girl does to put herself in danger but feel for her simultaneously.

Boulley has an M.P.A. and worked as Director of the Office of Indian Education. Amidst some whodunit, cliches is a world of culture that will inform the best-read of history buffs. I am happy that I read this.

Join BookBrowse

For a year of great reading
about exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: Move Like Water
    Move Like Water
    by Hannah Stowe
    As a child growing up on the Pembrokeshire Coast in Wales, Hannah Stowe always loved the sea, ...
    Loved and Missed
    by Susie Boyt
    London-based author and theater director Susie Boyt has written seven novels and the PEN Ackerley ...
  • Book Jacket: Beyond the Door of No Return
    Beyond the Door of No Return
    by David Diop
    In early 19th-century France, Aglaé's father Michel Adanson dies of old age. Sitting at ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Ben Goldfarb
    We've all seen it—a dead animal carcass on the side of the road, clearly mowed down by a car. ...

Fair Rosaline
by Natasha Solomons
A subversive, powerful untelling of Romeo and Juliet by New York Times bestselling author Natasha Solomons.

Members Recommend

All You Have to Do Is Call
    by Kerri Maher

An inspiring novel based on the true story of the Jane Collective and the brave women who fought for our right to choose.

This Is Salvaged
    by Vauhini Vara

Stories of uncanny originality from Vauhini Vara, a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Fiction.

Win This Book
Win Moscow X

25 Copies to Give Away!

A daring CIA operation threatens chaos in the Kremlin. But can Langley trust the Russian at its center?

A M I A Terrible T T W