What readers think of Fortune's Rocks, plus links to write your own review.

Fortune's Rocks

by Anita Shreve

Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve X
Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve

Dec 1999, 435 pages

Jan 2001, 464 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Fortune's Rocks

Katherine

Fortune's Rocks is truly the most amazing novel I have ever read, and I have read many. Her portrayal of the characters, era, and landscape is breathtaking and enthralling. I read the book straight through, ignoring other tasks. Fortune's Rocks kept me on the edge of my seat, in a perpetual state of suspense and excitement. At times, this was almost unbearable and I could not continue reading for a moment. After finishing the novel I felt a great sense of loss, of profound moments I had while reading that I will never experience again. I was very sad to read the final words, but this novel is absolutely worth reading. I am still caught in its grasp several hours after having completed it. Truly one of Anita Shreve's greatest novels. There is never a dull moment, with the excitement, tension, and suspense being so great as to leave one breathless.
Sarah

Each character in FORTUNE'S ROCKS sprang to life while the entire book played out in my mind's eye. Each turn in the plot caught the breath in my chest. I was unable to put the book down before I learned each character's fate. FORTUNE'S ROCKS is a book that I will not soon forget. I highly recommend this enchanting novel to anyone who loves to be lost within the pages book.book review
Laurie White

FORTUNE'S ROCKS has left a lasting memory in my mind. I loved it! It is so perfectly written and detailed that it seems like you are really there at Fortune's Rocks at the turn-of-the-century spying from behind a big rock and watching the story unfold right before your eyes. The characters are so real and so likable. I think I went through every emotion there is as I read the book. There are so many twists and turns and surprises that you just can't put the book down. (You have to see what is going to happen next.) It is a story about finding true love and discovering yourself along the way. For Olympia, love truley knew no age, no boundries, no barriers, and no limits. I would love to see FORTUNE'S ROCKS made into a movie. It is my favorite book thus far and I just can't say enough about it. IT'S A MUST READ BOOK FOR EVERYONE!

I can not explain how moving this book was to me. I listened to this book on CD and the way the narrator read it, made me feel more emotion than I have ever felt while reading a book. Olympia's character, though young, is strong-willed. Shreve has woven the theme of the indendent woman thoughout this novel. With twists and turns in the plot, it kept me listening late into the night. I was sad to finish it. The story kept me thinking about the characters for many days afterwards. Shreve knows her characters inside and out. I recommend this book to anyone who has enjoyed her other books.
Mia

This novel has got to be the most passionate book i've ever read, it's full of genuine love and realistic ones as well.
Melissa

This book was amazing. I have read several of Anita Shreve's novels and I am definately addicted! These stories make love seem just within reach as you watch her characters go through the drama. The characters seem to be real and they always leave you wanting for more! I would recommend this book to everyone!
Virginia

Unable to put this book down. Heart breaking but very believable. A book I will never get over or forget.
melissa

I love this book. honestly, i think about it every day. i had gone to my sisters one day and she told me to read it. i didnt, until about 2-3 months later. by the time i got into it, i remember the last time i talked to my sister.i told her i loved it. She died about a two weeks later.she loved to read, and i took her advice. Her car accident made me not want to read it anymore because i couldnt tell her how /what i thought of it. now, i realize how precious things are. i could read this book over and over again. i just love it. not so much because of jen, but because i loved it. i could be olympia, anyone with that passion could. . Anita is a great writer. i wish i could tell her that. for both my sister and me. i read other books of anitas, but by far, this is the all time best. if anyone has a contact to her, please, let me know, i just want to thank her. i love it.... myangeljenlynne@aol.com

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Exiles
    by Jane Harper

A captivating new mystery from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Jane Harper.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

It's A G T Me

The fact of knowing how to read is nothing, the whole point is knowing what to read.