What readers think of Piranesi, plus links to write your own review.

Piranesi

Sep 7, 2021, 272 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for Piranesi

Anna Rowe

A treat
This is one of the most cinematic books I have ever read. It is a feat of imagination. Be prepared to expand your mind a little before you start this. It challenges perceptions of reality and identity. It's going to take you to another world of labyrinth halls, marbles statues and sweeping tides of sea. What a pleasure to read.
Ssemaganda Edward

It's good
Good for all age categories.
Anna Maria Rowe

Magical
Diane T. (Slingerlands, NY)

Out of my comfort zone
I am old enough to remember "The Twilight Zone". As soon as I saw Rod Seeking, I'd change the channel. He made me feel anxious! Although I loved "The Big Bang Theory", I could never figure out the fascination the guys had about " to go where no man has gone." It was way beyond their chosen field of expertise. Suffice it to say, I'm not a Trekie, nor a fan of Star Wars. No sci-fi for me.
That being said I have just finished reading "Piranesi" by Susanna Clarke for the third time and will buy the book - I received the ebook to review - to have in my library! Yes, that is how much I loved it. Why? Because it is magical and otherworldly. It makes you think about life and it's cycle. The author has written what could have been a rather frightful book into one that is beautifully lyrical, poignant and believable. It reminds us what has come before us in history and gives us an opportunity to experience the good, the bad and the ugly in a way that calls upon our senses. Art reminds us of what was and so it is in this book.
Our main character is Piranesi, though this is not his real name. In history, Piranesi is an Italian artist famous for his etchings of Time and of fictitious and atmospheric "prisons". The House , where the story mainly takes place, is atmospheric, haunting, yet calming to the soul. There are twists and turns, literally and figuratively that unfolds this mystery.
To say that I was initially thrilled to be told that the books that I had requested to reviewed were oversubscribed and that I could request"Piranesi". I am so glad that I stepped out of my box and read this book. In these most anxious times, my blood pressure was lowered not only once but three times before writing this. Will I read the book again? Everytime I feel fraught with everything, I will escape to The House and it's serenity.
Mark S. (Blauvelt, NY)

Strangely Exciting and Thought Provoking
It took a little while to get going, but I was immediately captivated by the author's prose and the images it created. The ending felt mildly anticlimactic, but the way in which Clarke develops the mystery of who and where Piranesi is made it impossible to put down. I would strongly recommend Piranesi to any fantasy buffs and book clubs who enjoy exploring alternative reality stories.
Robbie Lee Naples, FL

Piranesi
It's a wonderful house — huge soaring rooms connected by hallways and staircases extending to infinity. And filled with beautiful statues. The House is usually benevolent providing food, water, conversation, and comfort. The only perceptible evil — killer tides that, fortunately, can be predicted and avoided.This magnificent house comprises the entire world with a total of 15 inhabitants, 13 of them skeletons. Piranesi with his journals and The Other are the two protagonists of this magical, alter world.

Susanna Clarke allows the reader to discover Piranesi's slow understanding of himself through twists and turns in this fantastical novel. Her storytelling ability wholly immerses us in mystery and adventure making us question which world is real — a journey worth traveling.
Catherine O. (Altavista, VA)

Escape
When reading is your favorite hobby and you read over a hundred books a year it is difficult to find such a unique novel as Piranesi. As you lose yourself in this elaborate, beautifully described world that Piranesi inhabits you question everything. The author reveals characters and information in a gentle way that eases you toward a satisfying ending. This is a novel I will be recommending to my book club, it gave me several hours of true enjoyment and provided escape from my worries as I wondered if Piranesi would ever escape from his world.
Lorraine D. (Lacey, WA)

An Emotional, Suspenseful Journey Back to Reality
Curious about the name, Piranesi, I looked it up and discovered an Italian artist, Giovanni Barista Piranesi (1720-1778) whose etching were said to depict "cavernous imaginary prisons" (The Free Dictionary - Piranesi). This definition so well defined the houses that Susanna Clarke's character, Piranesi, occupies in this captivating novel. Her mastery of descriptive language brings true emotion into the consoling relationship between Piranesi and the statues. It somewhat reminded me of the relationship between Tom Hanks and the basketball in the movie, Cast Away. Within the first few chapters one can well visualize the expansiveness of the chambers of this massive labyrinth, and could be pained by the Other's control over Piranesi. Each chapter thereafter was an enlightenment regarding the ingenuity, persistence and emotional impact derived from deprivation and the struggle for survival. Piranesi is a page-turner that unwinds with a crescendo as powerful as the flood tides depicted in the book. Susanna Clarke has produced an extraordinary experience and I thank her for an enthralling read.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Vixen
    The Vixen
    by Francine Prose
    Recent Harvard graduate Simon Putnam has been rejected from grad school and has thus returned to his...
  • Book Jacket: How the Word Is Passed
    How the Word Is Passed
    by Clint Smith
    With legislatures around the U.S. rushing to ban the teaching of critical race theory, it's clear ...
  • Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

The Temple House Vanishing
    by Rachel Donohue

A modern gothic page-turner set in a Victorian mansion in Ireland.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N