What readers think of The Color of Air, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Air

Callum McLaughlin

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Color of Air

Pat G.

Color of Air
Having been to Hawaii, the storyline was so eye opener to the history of sugar cane and the life led by the multiple nationalities. There was spirituality and great respect shown for the land and for life. Well written and an easy read with excellent characterization.
Marie McAndrew-Taylor

Gayle Tskuiyama
I always read Gayle Tsukiyama books. Her characters are wonderful. Gayle has a keen sense of place. Community is a major theme in this book. Highly recommend.
Nancy M.

I fell in love with this book
First, of all, I am a big fan of this author. Samurai's Garden is one of my all time favorite books. This book, with it's Hawaiian setting, diverse characters, poignant love stories, swept me away. I read this in one day, and I didn't want it to end. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a deeply immersive reading experience.
K Fox

Totally immersed in place and time
A welcome panacea to the times we are living in is how I would describe reading this story of Daniel Abe, a successful doctor in Chicago, as he returns home to Hilo two years after his mother Mariko’s death.
A secret has driven Danial home, though, and I was enchanted by the story Tsukiyama weaves switching between “ghost voices” and “island voices” as the prodigal son and his long-ago community are united again.

A Powerful story of love and pain, told so gently through the eyes of Daniel, Koji, Mariko and Nori, I felt as if I was there, in the lush and abundant fields of Hilo, sharing in the lives of the characters and becoming part of the community. Hoping with each turn of the page that the forces of nature will not destroy their homes and livelihoods and wondering if secrets held so tightly will ever be revealed.

Gail Tsukiyama is the author of six previous novels, including The Street of a Thousand Blossoms, Women of the Silk and The Samurai's Garden.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Wrong End of the Telescope
    The Wrong End of the Telescope
    by Rabih Alameddine
    Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope follows Mina, a Lebanese American doctor who ...
  • Book Jacket: Lightning Strike
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Skinship
    Skinship
    by Yoon Choi
    The fine thing about short stories in general is their way of following characters through ...
    The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Y A B Up T W T