Reader reviews and comments on Back Roads, plus links to write your own review.

Back Roads

by Tawni O'Dell

Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell X
Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell

Mar 2000, 338 pages
    Jan 2001, 416 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Back Roads

Sarah Ciampa

Backroads is by far the best book I have read in my life. I have read this book about four times. With the mix of suspense. humor, and a pervertedness it is by far the best. I give this book a big two thumbs up.

sarah
Tracey

Best book I've read in a long time.
LM Hartman

Back Roads
This part of the book summary is so far off the mark, I thought I must have read the wrong book:

"Through every ordeal, the unforgettable Harley could never know that his endearing humor, his love for his sisters, and his bumbling heroics would redeem them all."

What? I really liked this book up until the histrionic end, which has almost nothing redeeming about it. All the way through Harley and the other characters were believable, if troubling, and Harley was easy to admire and feel compassion for. But the end kind of defied belief. I don't want Hollywood. But a different outcome would not only have been more uplifting - it would have been seemed more authentic, too.
S.L.B.

I gave it a 4 because even tho' it was a 'wow' book,it wasn't the best,the thoughts of violent kill was almost overkill and the vulgarity!! I knowpeople use the 'f' word overtime but to read it in print all the time is a bit much. But it was a very good book in all. the plotline I thought at first was humdrum but Twani O'Dell made it orginial. Thank you for a good start in my summer reading!
Anna Lazaro

It's a great book! It's funny and sexy at times. Its sad, mad.... its a mix of different emotions. Harley Altmyer is a truly amazing fictional character.
David

Depressing
If you don't like books that start off depressing and end even more depressing, then this is not the book for you. The book is written very well though and it's hard to put down. Throughout the book I was just waiting for Harley to have some self realization that he was mentally insane or that his mind was manipulating his perception of events. Possibly waking up from a horrid dream yet he endures murder, incest, which is confusing, affairs, abuse, violence, and complete misery. I thought the book would end a little differently but it was basically a huge train-wreck.
phertyl

Not Convincing Enough
Sorry, but I could tell that this book was written by a woman trying to sound like a man. It just didn't work because I believe it takes a MAN to write about being a teenager/young man. Consquently, I found it rather weak and was distracted from my over all enjoyment of the book.
Brenda Miller

I did not like this book because it was so depressing and tawdry.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Caste
    Caste
    by Isabel Wilkerson
    In 2020, the word "racist" remains taboo. Conceptually, racism is so culturally unacceptable, so ...
  • Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...
  • Book Jacket: The Bell in the Lake
    The Bell in the Lake
    by Lars Mytting
    A legend from Lars Mytting's Norwegian hometown tells of two centuries-old church bells that, like ...

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R