Reader reviews and comments on The Paris Hours, plus links to write your own review.

The Paris Hours

May 2020, 272 pages

There are currently 49 reader reviews for The Paris Hours

gerrie

A Day to Remember
This book is composed of brain burning, gasp inducing scenes that will stay with you forever. One day in Paris, four main characters, mystery upon mystery and it all unwinds and just when you think it's over,,,, it really isn't.
The Paris Hours is not a long book but it packs one heck of a punch. The writing is beautiful and thought provoking. Humans are human no matter where they are from, where they live, or their station in life. Their paths often intersect as do their secrets, sometimes with disastrous results.
Katherine P

Can Anyone Move Forward After A Tragic Loss?
Come spend a day on the streets and in the bookstores and bars of Paris as four very different people try to capture what has been lost. An Armenian immigrant performing puppet shows for French children while narrating in Armenian. A wounded WW I vet searching for the infant lost with his wife in the flames of a burning Church. A failed artist trying to find the money to save his life. And a shy country woman serving as the confidante and caretaker of a hypochondriac, Marcel Proust. We follow them through the course of one day as they seek and, in the process, learn of their histories and the whys of the seeking. Engrossing as their stories are the city itself captivates the senses as the reader roams from place to place and observes the other residents of the City of Light. The story brings it all together at the one fateful night when all the seekers find themselves in the smoky, jazz-filled room of Le Chat Blanc.
tired bookreader

Highly Recommend
I do believe this is the first book of 2020 that rates #1. The style of the writing almost requires reading four (not too long) chapters at a time and the storyline(s) are so unique, it is a surprise to find how they connect.

The choices a person makes every day are more consequential than we know. Not only for ourselves, but for those with whom we interact.

Thank you, Alex George, for this wonderful read.
Sooz

An Unforgettable Day in Paris
Imagine an historical novel in which you not only meet the four main protagonists but also the likes of Josephine Baker, Marcel Proust, Maurice Ravel, Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein. The author very cleverly weaves the lives of these celebrities into the lives of his main characters.
He first introduces the reader to an Armenian puppeteer Souren, then a French artist, Guillaume, a French journalist, Jean Paul, and the maid and confidante of Marcel Proust, Camille.
All of them end up involved with each other in some way and their stories are all confined to one day in Paris. I was amazed at how the author was able to connect their diverse lives and tell the story of each one searching for something lost.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to experience Paris through the eyes of four very different inhabitants and find themselves caught up in their emotions and life struggles.
I will definitely plan to look for more novels from this very talented author.
tired bookreader

Best read for 2020
The style the author chose for the book is perfect to keep the reader motivated. You have to read 4 chapters at a time (no worries, they aren't long). The story is captivating and shows how barely noticeable meetings with strangers can have major effects on someone's life.

I read this book in record time and have recommended it to anyone who will listen. A must read!!
Becky S

Love, love, love this book!
I loved everything about this book.. the characters were rich and well developed... I loved the backdrop of the book and the fact that it culminates in a single day in Paris in 1927 where the characters finally intersect and leave you feeling breathless. I love the historical aspect and the use of real live characters from that time frame... Ernest Hemingway, Josephine Baker, Gertrude Stein... they all leave a feeling of authenticity to the story. Just an amazing read for me, love the way this author writes! Bravo!
Maryford

A gorgeous book
I read this for the book discussion later this month but I need to say right now that it is a beautiful jewel of a book. The writing is exquisite. Definitely the best book I have read this year and it will probably hold on to that title for a long time.
Lynne Lambert

Life Can Change in a Day
Alex George spins a fast moving narrative in The Paris Hours as he weaves together the lives of four very different characters. Camille has a secret she is desperate to protect. Souren has escaped the brutal Armenian genocide but not the memories. Guillaume is an artist whose love life and career are aspirational. Jean Paul is a journalist with an aching heart. Each of them has lost someone or something precious, and the novel criss-crosses their lives like the strands of an intricate French braid. A cast of luminaries including Marcel Proust, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, Josephine Baker add narrative flavor as the characters live out one meaningful day in 1927 Paris. It is a novel that looks at the power of love, of loss, of hope and of memory. It reminds us that time and timing are powerful forces. Fitting together the disparate pieces of these characters’ lives gives the reader a sense of satisfaction, but up to the very last page there are unexpected surprises.

Gertrude Stein (1874-1946)

Join & Save $10!

Discover books that entertain, engage & enlighten. One-year membership: $29

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: One Night Two Souls Went Walking
    One Night Two Souls Went Walking
    by Ellen Cooney
    In One Night Two Souls Went Walking, we follow a young interfaith chaplain as she carries out her ...
  • Book Jacket: Truthtelling
    Truthtelling
    by Lynne Schwartz
    The word "unsayable" can mean something is too vast to be put into words. Alternatively, it can ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book Collectors
    The Book Collectors
    by Delphine Minoui
    About halfway through The Book Collectors, I was disappointed. I came into the book with a ...
  • Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...

The Patron Saint of Pregnant Girls
    by Ursula Hegi

Set on a German island in 1878, perfect for fans of Water for Elephants.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline
Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O