Reader reviews and comments on Greek to Me, plus links to write your own review.

Greek to Me

Apr 14, 2020, 240 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Greek to Me

Mary P. (Bellingham, WA)

Greek to Me
The author, Mary Norris, is an unabashed devotee of Greece-- its language, culture, history. ancient remains. Her enthusiasm comes through in this memoir, written with love and humor. Greece, here I come!
Patricia G. (Dyer, IN)

Ode on a Grecian Yearning
I thoroughly enjoyed traveling with Mary Norris through her experience of all things Greek, both ancient and modern. I truly learned something new on every page, and her vibrant voice and comprehensive scholarship brought each detail to life. Although I do not expect to visit in person, I loved vicariously being there through Mary's enthusiastic retelling.
Marganna K. (Edmonds, WA)

Delightful
I love this book primarily for Mary Norris' writing style. The book is a memoir, a travelogue & a study of all things Greek. Admittedly this book won't appeal to all but what a fun romp through Greece with Ms. Norris! As a lover of language I am in awe of her story - I'm quite challenged by any foreign language - and learning more about mythology has been on my bucket list forever.
For me this book was not a quick read - each page is packed with rewarding goodness ! I loved the author's humor & ability to share such beautiful insights about her love of all things Greek. I will be reading her other books & will recommend this book wholeheartedly.
Susan L. (Alexandria, VA)

Greek Immersion
Norris indulges her love of all things Greek in this book and shares her passion for the language, both modern and ancient, as well as for the people and culture of Greece. The book was a delightful introduction to a land that changed and influenced language itself.
Mary Anne R. (Towson, MD)

Greek To Me
Mary Norris' memoir shows how her love of things Greek-the language,the history and the myths-blended with her life experience of joys and sorrows to define who she is.

I found the in this author a kindred spirit because I too fell in love with Greece ago. The author's memoir brought to mind experiences that I too enjoyed.

I loved the author's writing style.She is introspective,humble and witty. I especially liked the unexpected moments where I laughed out loud.

This small book has a wealth of information. I took notes and researched many of the places that inspired her.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has had a love affair with Greece or would like to have.
Lindsay R. (Franklin, TN)

Greek To Me
I really enjoyed this book. I was also looking forward to reading it as well. I grew up loving Greek mythology, and this brought back that interest and fun. I enjoyed the history of our words base of Greek interspersed throughout the book. I enjoyed her enthusiasm about all things Greek and the history of the country. I learned so many things: Greek was originally written in all caps; the lower case letters came from the middle ages, mainly to save space. And that omicron means small o. I enjoyed her traveling adventures around Greece and learned much from those travels across the years. She discussed the Greek financial troubles and Cyprus' complicated history. Those with an interest in travel, history and yes, language and mythology will love this book.
My mother minored in ancient Greek in college (in the 40s) and we often discussed Greek history and mythology. I look forward to sharing this book with her.
Ann L. (Park City, UT)

Excellent book
But honestly not for me. I tried. I read the beginning then skipped through other portions of the book, and it did not pique my interest and i could not identify. Has nothing to do with quality of writing. Looks well written and developed. I will pass it along to other(s) who I feel will enjoy and better identify.
Christine P. (Essex Junction, VT)

Greek To Me
I loved this book, but it isn't for everyone. I also love words and language, and so does Mary Norris. In her new book, Greek To Me, she loves everything Greek and shares her extensive knowledge along with her own story in an entertaining and engaging way. But her knowledge is so deep that it's often overwhelming to absorb even a portion of what she offers. She made me dig deep, and I probably won't retain most of what I learned, but that doesn't matter. The book was fascinating and challenging, and I particularly enjoyed learning about her own family and personal history. She is such a good writer and it's always a pleasure to read anything she writes. As you may have guessed, I also loved her first book, Between You and Me.

• Book Jacket: The Price We Pay
    The Price We Pay
    by Marty Makary
    The Hippocratic Oath is one of the oldest affidavits in history, originating in ancient Greece. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Fountains of Silence
    The Fountains of Silence
    by Ruta Sepetys
    The Spanish Civil War and its aftermath was a complicated period in history. The issues each side ...
  • Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...
  • Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...

Nothing to See Here
    by Kevin Wilson

A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning caring for two children with remarkable abilities.

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D