What readers think of Miracle Creek, plus links to write your own review.

Miracle Creek

Elisabeth Cook

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Miracle Creek

kate elder

intriguing
Read in one sitting. loved it!
Susan

Syspenseful
I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book but enjoying I did. The characters were so well developed and the story will have you on the edge of your seat. You will not find out the truth till the very end. The premise of the medical chamber to help cure all the different ailments of each of the patients made the reading very interesting. But when an accident occurs a d everyone wants some one to blame we all wind up in court. The legal added so much to the book. I would highly recommend.
Courtney

Addictive
I was definitely not convinced that I would love this book, but I did nonetheless. I was in my 8th month of pregnancy with my first child and the themes of parent/child relationships and of mothers never feeling like their best was good enough were horrifying and addictive. I'd love to re-read this 10-20 years down the road and see if I feel the same amount of fear and trepidation in reading it again.
RebeccaR

Riveting, Shocking, Disturbing - This book has it all.
Don't let the lengthy character list inside the front cover discourage you from reading this novel. The plot is truly unique and covers a wide range of emotions. Reviews which label this book as a courtroom drama simply do not do it justice; it would like saying the television series BREAKING BAD is about a science teacher with a health problem or that To Kill a Mockingbird is the story of an older dad who is a widower in a small town. Author Angie Kim weaves together the struggling Korean immigrant couple (the Yoo family) whose teenage daughter Mary is not totally thrilled with her new country. Still, Mary's lack of friends at school and privacy at home, particularly at her age, make her sympathetic.There is also a mixed-race couple (Matt Thompson and wife Janine Cho) who are enjoying their financial success as medical professionals despite a traumatic injury to radiologist Matt. However, characters whose names are further down on the list (which extends to a second page) have pivotal roles as well. There are some small town elements such as gossip, competitiveness among the mothers (who"mothers" best?) and emotional struggles while raising children with autism, cerebral palsy and ADHD. The characters' lives become more deeply involved as a result of the experimental hyperbaric oxygenation treatment center. No character is left unaffected by the tragic event, and no reader will progress through the chapters without experiencing changing loyalties toward the characters. This is a book that lends itself to intense book club discussions.
LinZ

This book stirred memories
Angie Kim's novel hooked me with the opening line! This is a murder mystery, but also it examines the life of families with special needs children as well as immigrant families in the US. Both play a major role in the story. As a mom of a daughter with autism and it forced me to go and remember the feelings I experienced in the past. I know of the intensity of daily life and the struggles, the need to feel like your child can be like other kids--especially if you can find the "right" treatment. I know that parents will do most anything to help their child and this book helped me to examined my own feeling about that as a parent. This need is also reflected in the families of the special needs children and the immigrant family. But this also is a murder trial where many people have secrets and partial truths they have revealed. I liked that it was told from multiple perspectives, which increased the clues of how the tragedy occurred and how they suspected one another. So many people had enough reasons to be the actually murderer. I was hooked from the first page to the last!
Vivian H

Who To Blame
This is a rare court room drama that caused me to feel empathy for all of its flawed characters- immigrants trying to give a daughter a chance for success in America, teen rebellion, the cultural strictures for Korean women, the mothers seeking experimental treatments for their disabled children, the guilt & hope they feel, even the protestors trying to shut the operation down. The story is told from multiple perspectives with each chapter peeling away another layer of onion. There is a lot of heartache. I thought this was an excellent first book.
sssnoo-reads

Lawyer turned author presents a compelling, full-of-surprises courtroom drama
Miracle Creek is a complex courtroom suspense story that explores how many small acts, inaction, mistruths, lies of omission, etc. can combine to make one huge shit storm. I liked it. The novel focuses on 4 days of a trial as everyone's motives and stories unravel. I was pulled in enough to consume the book over 2 days. Some may not find it action-packed enough - it is an exploration of the human psyche - motivations and the stories we tell ourselves and others to justify our behavior. It leaves every single character exposed and flawed, and not necessarily likable. If this intrigues you then you will probably enjoy the book.

The author is a lawyer - and her attention to detail was noticeable and appreciated.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Frances N

Guilt and Lies
This is a well-written, but very sad book about the aftermath of an explosion with deaths at a hyperbaric clinic. All of the characters are suffering and dissembling in some form and the reader feels their pain and sympathizes.
While this book deserves more praise than I am giving it, I would not recommend reading it during a shelter-in-place quarantine (as I did) because it is a bit suffocating.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...
  • Book Jacket: The Girl in His Shadow
    The Girl in His Shadow
    by Audrey Blake
    The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake is a fast-paced historical novel set in Victorian-era England...
  • Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people... but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the...

H I T Best P