Reader reviews and comments on Gap Creek, plus links to write your own review.

Gap Creek

by Robert C. Morgan

Gap Creek

Jan 2000, 324 pages
    Oct 2000, 336 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Gap Creek

Tye Copeland (02/16/04)

This book is disgusting- shes getting off on her umbilical cord. How can you rate this book a five?
Me (02/10/04)

I absolutely loved this book, because it's so full of life, love, excitement, and strength (especially from Julie). I was confused in the beginning, but it all came together. But, at times, I could have cried. Then there were times I didn't want to put the book down! I really wish people would write more books like this, because maybe more people would read. Robert Morgan- you did an awesome job! Keep it up...
Julie (05/15/03)

I found this novel to be a breathtakibg Journey through out Julie's life. It shared her deepest thoughts and secrets
Katie (03/19/03)

I found this book to be both educating and moving. Anyone who thinks this book was overrated would have to be someone who does not understand the art of a book and what they stand for. It would be nice to see more like this one.
Amy (03/16/03)

<< But I was there, even though I didn't want to be, and I seen it all. >>

From the first page, to the very last line, I was captivated. Julie's strength is obvious from the very beginning. Some might say that this book should only be read by the older generation, but whole-heartedly disagree. I'm only 14 years old, and I loved all of the messages in this book. All you have to do is want to see them. With Julie's fascinating use of an uneducated vocabulary, she shows you that inside, underneath the dirt and grime of a prairie life, lies a brilliant woman, who has a grasp of human nature. She has the strength to keep going, the strength to hold her tongue. She knows that while a clever remark may bring instant satisfaction, there are more important things. In this book is the sweetness of life, of beginnings. But there is also the darkness of death of sadness. With this character, Robert Morgan teaches us to take in the bad with the good. Every single character was interesting, and amazingly real. I believe everyone has met someone with Ma Richards' blaming ways, or Mr. Pendergast's stuborn nature. Hank's testiness is fustratingly familiar. In every character, you can see others. But what's most surprising is when you see yourself.
Lesley (10/27/02)

This book was far overrated. It did not live up to the cover reviews. I can see why Oprah doesn't have book club anymore because all the books in it are horrible and quite predictable.
Nicole (10/06/02)

It was an okay book. It would probaly be good for adults then yonger kids. But me being 16 it want as good as my Aunt (40) made it outto be. So i would recomind it to people 30 and over. It was a good book.
S.L.B. (09/29/02)

Yes,I gave it a three,no I changed my mind to 4,it wasn't prize pultizer material yes but it was a good! book! A kind of 'Little House on the Parie'only with rough edges on it. I enjoyed reading about how things in life was done back then,life was simplier back then in some ways but life was hard,we need books like this to remind us. Thank you mister Morgan! Now,to my critque of the characters,Hank and Julie...First of all,I think Hank married Julie because she was the first good woman to come along to get him away from his ma and to 'prove' his manhood! Oh,yes,he may have 'loved' Julie but I think he fell in true love with her as time went on. I did not care for his egoticatical "Don't tell me what to do' but that is typical for that time period and I agree with another reader,the writer could have ended it a whole lot better! It's like he got a chopping ax and cut the end off! Give us a break and come up with Part 2! Well,that's all I have to say.

• Book Jacket: The Book That Matters Most

by Scott Stambach

"An auspicious, gut-wrenching, wonderful debut." - Kirkus, starred review

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place