Reader reviews and comments on Gap Creek, plus links to write your own review.

Gap Creek

by Robert R. Morgan

Gap Creek by Robert R. Morgan X
Gap Creek by Robert R. Morgan

Jan 2000, 324 pages
    Oct 2000, 336 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Gap Creek

Kate (07/11/02)

This book was over-rated by its jacket reviews. It was a disappointing
story with little reward. I don't need much as far as story line as I truly enjoy Willa Cather's books but this book just didn't make it - the
characters were flat and it's a book that probably won't have a long life
as it actually had little to say.Text
Melissa (04/10/02)

I loved this book. This is definitly the best book I have ever read. A friend was reading it and I asked how it was and they said it was pretty good. So as soon as she checked in into the library I checked it out. I couldnt put it down and I plan on reading it again.
Anonymous (08/09/01)

Ginny
I loved this book, but was VERY disappointed in the ending. I enjoyed the author's ability to weave old fashioned insights into his work. I felt as though I were living back at the turn of the century with his wonderfully descriptive prose. I really enjoyed the in-depth descriptions of the food and the cleaning - of what it took to survive back then when you didn't have any money. And how a good meal was something that was savored and appreciated.
I couldn't help feeling though that the author never really ended the book, but rather just simply stopped writing. If I didn't know better, I'd think someone ripped out the last chapter of my copy of the book!
On the whole though I thought it was a wonderful read and I would recommend it to anyone.
Anonymous (08/09/01)

Beverley
Morgan has a gift for description of the revolting sides of life, but I got tired of and desensitized by the repetition and found the plot development very slow. It tried my patience. Also, Julie and Hank as well as the minor characters were flat and Julie in particular implausibly annoyingly in her one dimensional passivity and acceptance that life is to be endured and that one has few choices. A disappointing novel unless you want to read about cutting up hogs and the seamy side of nature.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund