What readers think of Where the Crawdads Sing, plus links to write your own review.

Where the Crawdads Sing

Rebecca Foster

There are currently 15 reader reviews for Where the Crawdads Sing

lbrown

Where the Crawdads Sing
I must say, I hate books that make me cry, but my book club wanted to read this one so I resolutely slogged into it expecting a deluge. There were some tears but mostly amazement at the book's descriptions (and the character's experience) of a tidal environment with all its diversity. The main character was much like me--I enjoyed her survival story, her struggle to overcome loneliness and rejection, and eventual maturation into an accomplished writer and artist. There's much to be said for a solitary life immersed in nature, but we usually associate this with men such as Emerson, Muir, Thoreau, etc., and not with women. This book shatters the myth and reveals the mysteries that women alone in wilderness can experience. However, I'm always disconcerted that stories about women leading unusual lives always need an explanation of how their childhoods led them "astray." I wish Crawdads had just started with the main character stepping into her boat and motoring off into an incredible adventure and a rich life.
Kate

Page Turner
Once you get your nose in this book you won’t want to close it! Get ready to sit back and put yourself in the time of a girl living in a marsh experiencing prejudices among the people in the local town.
Ruthee

I loved this book!
I really enjoyed this book. It had a heartwarming ending with a real twist along the way. Very clever story line. I am looking forward to more books by Delia Owens.
Calexander

Wonderful
Wonderful, coming of age story of a girl who goes through life bearing more than children should. A gripping tale of life in loneliness and how true grit prevails.
Windsong22

Absolutely, a priceless book
No matter what else is written in 2019 this will always be among my top three fiction books of the year. Through the eyes of Kya Clark, an abandoned child. Delia Owens gives a new perspective to the lowlands and this almost uninhabitable portion of North Carolina. At times i felt as I were floating through the marshes with Kya and seeing for the first time the intricacies of the aquatic life in the marshes. I loved the way the author drew analogies between the behavior of the townspeople toward Kya and the behavior of the insects in their respective habitats. Ms Owens has created a mystery, a love story, and a brilliant environmental study of the beautiful marshes of North Carolina neatly packaged in about 360 pages.
Shatonite

Nature book mystery
Story of an abandoned child that grew into a self-sufficient marsh girl/woman. Murder mystery - beautiful descriptions of the marsh.
Kathy

Highly recommend this book!
Loved this book! After the ending have to read it again!
Anl

Pleasant read
Loved it. Easy to read. Original plot. Well developed characters came across as believable people. In the time frame set, all the discriminatory thoughts and acts are believable and realistic. Yet the book is not judgemental not does it try to form the reader’s opinions, as I find in so much modern fiction. It also does not find “fault” or “blame” for the character’s situation. How refreshing to have a book where folks are troubled, yet find satisfaction with their situations in life. Although justice is vigilante, the reader is held to keep reading to find out the conclusion.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel
    Kristin Harmel's historical novel The Forest of Vanishing Stars was very well-received by our First ...
  • Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Killing Hills
    The Killing Hills
    by Chris Offutt
    The personified hills of the novel's title foreshadow the mood of this brooding and ominous tale. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vixen
    The Vixen
    by Francine Prose
    Recent Harvard graduate Simon Putnam has been rejected from grad school and has thus returned to his...

All the Little Hopes
by Leah Weiss
A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, in the murky shadows of World War II.

The Temple House Vanishing
    by Rachel Donohue

A modern gothic page-turner set in a Victorian mansion in Ireland.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N