MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Where the Crawdads Sing, plus links to write your own review.

Where the Crawdads Sing

Aug 2018, 384 pages

Rebecca Foster

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Where the Crawdads Sing

Sandi W.

The author gives you the visual, the characters give you the familiarity
Seldom does a book leave you with a warm and completed feeling. Especially one revealing a murderer in its closing paragraphs. But this is the book that managed to do just that.

Delia Owens introduces you to a wonderful list of characters. Then she sends them on their way to circle around one little waif of a girl, as she tries to circumvent isolation and loneliness. Kya, known to others as the Marsh Girl, lives a lonely life in an old marsh cabin, left on her own from an early age, trying to understand and accept her solitary existence.

Long after I have put this book down I will be thinking of the characters and setting of this book. Both were exquisitely written. Within just a few pages you are drawn into this world. You are set down in a marshland, taken back, where things were, as they always have been. Space, time and distance melt away and you are there, silently moving alongside the characters, bringing them to life. Smelling the brackish water, hearing the drone of insects, watching the birds fly. The author gives you the visual, the characters give you the familiarity.

This is a book that will take your breath away. Not one to be missed.
Yana Gifford

A quiet place
Wonderful book. Enjoyed reading it through and through. It wonderfully described scenery and nature, the relationship between people and nature. Having said this, the plot at times was a bit unrealistic. I wish it was more said about the murder too.
Antigone

Chick Lit
I started reading this book with high expectations, based on the many glowing reviews. As I read, I grew more and more disappointed. Too much like chick lit. Too predictable. Characters lack complexity, lack depth, and seemed insipid to me. Perhaps I am being overly harsh, as I had recently finished several Elizabeth Berg novels (including Truluv), as well as Olive, Again, and some Anne Tyler and Annie Proulx. All these writers and novels, including Crawdads, feature unique female protagonists, but Aya, the marsh girl of Crawdads, is nowhere near the nourishing literary meal and depth of character of Olive and her ilk. By comparison, Crawdads seems like chick lit.
Duncan

Where The Crawdads Sing
You might find this a good read if you can suspend reality as you read it. Then you will be astounded as the child learns to read in one session, leading her to become a brilliant and celebrated writer-illustrator.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Stone Girl
    The Stone Girl
    by Dirk Wittenborn
    The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn was a hit with our First Impressions reviewers, with 19 out of 21 ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

N M Cup O T