What readers think of Where the Crawdads Sing, plus links to write your own review.

Where the Crawdads Sing

Rebecca Foster

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Where the Crawdads Sing

Anl

Pleasant read
Loved it. Easy to read. Original plot. Well developed characters came across as believable people. In the time frame set, all the discriminatory thoughts and acts are believable and realistic. Yet the book is not judgemental not does it try to form the reader’s opinions, as I find in so much modern fiction. It also does not find “fault” or “blame” for the character’s situation. How refreshing to have a book where folks are troubled, yet find satisfaction with their situations in life. Although justice is vigilante, the reader is held to keep reading to find out the conclusion.
Becky H

Don't miss this one!
WOW! Just WOW! This is a great book. Murder, abandoned child, growing up alone, nature, young love, sex, ecology, love, poetry, betrayal, education, redemption, forgiveness, treachery -- it is all here. Well written with strong characters and even stronger biology, Owens debut novel is clearly a winner.
The North Carolina coastal region and the animals, birds, flowers, grasses, etc. are as much a character as the human in this book. Kya, Chase, Jumpin’, Mabel and Tate are the main humans in this beautiful elegy to nature and the human spirit.
Saying too much more will spoil the “mystery” in the book, so just know that is a book that should not be missed. Book groups will find much to discuss and ponder. Biologists and sportsmen/women will appreciate the accuracy of the science.
Matt H.

Excellent
Wonderful book.
Sandi W.

The author gives you the visual, the characters give you the familiarity
Seldom does a book leave you with a warm and completed feeling. Especially one revealing a murderer in its closing paragraphs. But this is the book that managed to do just that.

Delia Owens introduces you to a wonderful list of characters. Then she sends them on their way to circle around one little waif of a girl, as she tries to circumvent isolation and loneliness. Kya, known to others as the Marsh Girl, lives a lonely life in an old marsh cabin, left on her own from an early age, trying to understand and accept her solitary existence.

Long after I have put this book down I will be thinking of the characters and setting of this book. Both were exquisitely written. Within just a few pages you are drawn into this world. You are set down in a marshland, taken back, where things were, as they always have been. Space, time and distance melt away and you are there, silently moving alongside the characters, bringing them to life. Smelling the brackish water, hearing the drone of insects, watching the birds fly. The author gives you the visual, the characters give you the familiarity.

This is a book that will take your breath away. Not one to be missed.
Yana Gifford

A quiet place
Wonderful book. Enjoyed reading it through and through. It wonderfully described scenery and nature, the relationship between people and nature. Having said this, the plot at times was a bit unrealistic. I wish it was more said about the murder too.
Carolyn

Where the crawdads sing
Sorry to say, I also was disappointed in this book to some extent. Not at all what I thought it would be. YES! Kya DOES blame her family & others in the town for her plight, a little too much. How could a mother abandon her young child--too unbelievable. But yes, I was surprised by the ending but wondered how she could have pulled that off.
Antigone

Chick Lit
I started reading this book with high expectations, based on the many glowing reviews. As I read, I grew more and more disappointed. Too much like chick lit. Too predictable. Characters lack complexity, lack depth, and seemed insipid to me. Perhaps I am being overly harsh, as I had recently finished several Elizabeth Berg novels (including Truluv), as well as Olive, Again, and some Anne Tyler and Annie Proulx. All these writers and novels, including Crawdads, feature unique female protagonists, but Aya, the marsh girl of Crawdads, is nowhere near the nourishing literary meal and depth of character of Olive and her ilk. By comparison, Crawdads seems like chick lit.
Duncan

Where The Crawdads Sing
You might find this a good read if you can suspend reality as you read it. Then you will be astounded as the child learns to read in one session, leading her to become a brilliant and celebrated writer-illustrator.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois
    by Honorée Fannone Jeffers
    Honorée Fannone Jeffers' The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois explores the Black experience in ...
  • Book Jacket: Unlikely Animals
    Unlikely Animals
    by Annie Hartnett
    Though Everton, New Hampshire, the town in Annie Hartnett's Unlikely Animals, is fictional, it ...
  • Book Jacket: Shadows of Berlin
    Shadows of Berlin
    by David R. Gillham
    David R. Gillham's latest novel, Shadows of Berlin, opens in New York City in 1955. Rachel, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Trust
    Trust
    by Hernan Diaz
    Hernan Diaz's Trust is a work of fiction that is itself comprised of four very different works ...

Oh William!
by Elizabeth Strout
Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout explores the mysteries of marriage and the secrets we keep.

Metropolis
    by B. A. Shapiro

"An ingeniously plotted hybrid social/suspense novel. Shapiro hits it out of the park."
    Shelf Awareness

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading, you wish the author that wrote it was a ...

T S's T Limit